Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffde31

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently saw 2 pic's in a magazine where the diver was wearing a drysuit and was wearing ankle weights. Is this a common practice with a drysuit? If so, how much weight, i.e.70%B/C 30% ankle????? :06:

Yes, it's common with people who don't know how to dive with a drysuit............I've even seen it on wetsuit divers. No need for ankle weights, the problem is somewhere else.

Shaka has absolutely no idea what he is talking about on this topic. (Though seems like a good guy otherwise). His opinion is not terribly uncommon on this board but completely wrong among all those with the same view in my opinion.

There are many means of weight and weight distribution for scuba diving. Some use weight belts, integrated systems, some distribute via a back-plate, tank weights, and several others. Ankle weights are just another tool in the toolbox.

If you have back trouble for example ankle weights are an excellent means to distribute some of the necessary weight. Some people have floaty feet. In many cases this can be addressed with tank position changes but not in all cases.

The detractors use words like "hydrostatic instability", "increased exertion", and "increased SAC rate". While this is true in a test tube, it's completely irrelevant to real world diving. If you were to do dive #1 with 20 lbs in a weight belt, then dive #2 with 15 lbs on a weight belt and 5lbs in ankle weights, you would not find a measurable difference.

I do some dives with ankle weights and some without depending upon my weight needs for a given dive. (Changes based on what type of gear/dive I am doing).

--Matt

I'm not, personally, a big fan of ankle weights ... think about what you're using your feet for when you scuba dive, and logic through the advantages and disadvantages of adding weight there.

I tend to agree with Shaka on this one (and that doesn't happen very often) ... feeling the need to use ankle weights typically points to problems that can be better resolved with other approaches.

"Floaty feet" is often the result of poorly fitting boots ... resulting in trapped air in the feet. In many cases, a $6 pair of fin keepers is a better solution. Or if you use your drysuit for buoyancy control, you could be shifting excessive amounts of air into your lower legs ... in which case a good pair of gators could be useful.

Now, I'm not going to say that no one should ever use ankle weights ... in this I agree with Matt that they're just another tool. But the thing about tools is that sometimes they get used for the wrong reasons ... or there's a better tool for the job you're trying to do ... or they just get misused to compensate for a lack of technique.

As with any issue, think about why you would want to use them ... then ask yourself what are the alternatives. With ankle weights, the vast majority of the time you will be able to come up with a more efficient solution ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Use them if you need to,, but they are a crutch. no need for them if things are where they should be, and you have a handle on your bouyancy.

I'm no fan of ankle weights. I teach drysuit diving and have been using a variety from shell to neoprene suits for years.

Seeing ankle weights on a drysuit diver are a rookie alerts.

All the cool kids wear ankle weights.

Mr.X:
Seeing ankle weights on a drysuit diver are a rookie alerts.

I could have sworn that in one of the recent Deep Sea Detectives episodes they showed a quick shot of either Ritchie or John putting on ankle weights while gearing up. They must not know what they're doing. :D

Back
Top Bottom