ankle weights for drysuit, how much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please don't comment here about how I shouldn't need them...etc. I know there is a battle of how some divers use them always and some who say if you need them then something is wrong. I have only been diving dry for a short period BUT I am definitely getting better and better at it while adjusting my weights...etc. I do feel like my ankles are a bit floaty and yeah...it may be due to fins, it may be due to improper weighting. I will continue to improve but I have decided I am going to get a pair of ankle weights to test the waters. I see that the XS scuba brand comes in 1lb, 1.5lb and 2lb weights per foot. Should I give the 1, 1.5 or 2lb weights a shot? This is probably a "best guess" type of question but just seeing what ya'll think. thanks

I do feel like my ankles are a bit floaty and . . . I have decided I am going to get a pair of ankle weights to test the waters. . . . This is probably a "best guess" type of question but just seeing what ya'll think.
You're right, it is a 'best guess', and the proper answer depends, on what actually works for you.

Because I think ankle weights are primarily a stage that some drysuit divers need to go through (I did, to learn that they were not optimal - for me), my recommendation is to go small, i.e. go for the 1lb/foot, if you have decided that you are going to try ankle weights. That way, afterward you can use them for trim adjustment - one pound weights can be really helpful in that regard.

If you feel your legs are a bit 'floaty', have you tried / thought about gaiters (e.g. Amazon.com: Halcyon Gaiter Wraps )? That was ultimately a better approach for me, to reduce the 'floaty-ness'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that you are still foot heavy. Most new drysuit divers ASSUME they are floaty because they are not used to diving horizontally in the first place. Accordingly, when they start to get close to being in proper trim, they assume they are becoming inverted. I've seen divers that swear they were feet up/head down inverted... until they see video where they are still slightly feet-down/head up.

Do you have a buddy that can take a picture or shoot some video?

Do you look like this?

Blue32.jpg

Before you try to solve a problem... make sure that you actually have it.

If you are actually feet-light... I'd personally suggest a pair of gaiters over a pair of ankle weights. Ankle weights overcompensate for the problem of too much air in the legs. Gaiters prevent the problem from happening in the first place.

You're right, it is a 'best guess', and the proper answer depends, on what actually works for you.

Because I think ankle weights are primarily a stage that some drysuit divers need to go through (I did, to learn that they were not optimal - for me), my recommendation is to go small, i.e. go for the 1lb/foot, if you have decided that you are going to try ankle weights. That way, afterward you can use them for trim adjustment - one pound weights can be really helpful in that regard.

If you feel your legs are a bit 'floaty', have you tried / thought about gaiters (e.g. Amazon.com: Halcyon Gaiter Wraps )? That was ultimately a better approach for me, to reduce the 'floaty-ness'

I have a bare trilam HD which has built in gators. the whole drysuit is a bit large on me in the stomach area and boots. I think because the built in boots are a bit too large, they trap a little more air than normal. I wear a size 10 sneaker and these are more for a size 11.5 (I wear 2 pairs of wool socks and use some fin keepers to prevent my feet from slipping out which actually works very well). Yes I know that I should have a better fitting suit but I got the suit dirt cheap and im actually in the process of saving for a custom DUI suit.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that you are still foot heavy. Most new drysuit divers ASSUME they are floaty because they are not used to diving horizontally in the first place. Accordingly, when they start to get close to being in proper trim, they assume they are becoming inverted. I've seen divers that swear they were feet up/head down inverted... until they see video where they are still slightly feet-down/head up.

Do you have a buddy that can take a picture or shoot some video?

Do you look like this?

Blue32.jpg

Before you try to solve a problem... make sure that you actually have it.

If you are actually feet-light... I'd personally suggest a pair of gaiters over a pair of ankle weights. Ankle weights overcompensate for the problem of too much air in the legs. Gaiters prevent the problem from happening in the first place.

My trim in my 7mm is exactly like the picture you sent. I will dig up some older pics. As far as trim in the drysuit...I don't have pics but I can try and get some. I don't think this is the issue as normally in my wetsuit I can hover off the bottom one foot while doing all the tech basics, such as helicopter turns, S-drill,... etc BUT when I try that in the drysuit my feet float up over my head. I don't mean they drastically start floating upwards...it is very slow...but they do slowly start floating upwards, which I need to fin to keep them down.

an ill fitting suit will battle you all dive long......

I agree and this is why I am still saving for a DUI custom but will likely cost me 2500-3000$ so will definitely not have that until next year sometime. This suit cost me 250$ came with pee valve, sitech drygloves, and pockets installed, does not leak and keeps me rather warm in 50f water with the DUI undergarment it came with. Ive used it on 10 dives so far with mixed experiences. I have noticed the floaty feet really is most noticeable when I am drastically under weight where I need to let every drop of air out of the suit to sink. When I had a good deal of weight, the floaty feet was all but gone and the dives went very well. Definitely not good trim like my 7mm BUT the benefits of warmth far outweigh the trim for my needs right now. Even if I didn't get the ankle weights, and couldn't sort out the trim issue, id still dive this suit over my 7mm in 55F or colder waters. I was just trying to find a potential short term fix while I save for my new custom DUI :)

This thread is ruining the ScubaBoard stats. 3 replies so far and 1 of them actually addressed the OP's actual question.

@OP: My wetsuit fins are neutral. When I got a dry suit, I switched to Hollis F1 fins to keep my feet down. I'm like you in that my suits boots are just a little too big and I wear two pairs of super thick wool socks just to try and fill them up. I have not actually weighed the F1s, but the guy at the shop claimed they are about 3 # negative each. That seems pretty high to me, but I have no actual data to know one way or the other.

Have you considered:

- Fill-your-own ankle weights? I see them on LeisurePro

- Jury-rigging a temp solution with some nylon webbing or bungee and normal belt weights, just to see how much weight you need?

This thread is ruining the ScubaBoard stats. 3 replies so far and 1 of them actually addressed the OP's actual question.

@OP: My wetsuit fins are neutral. When I got a dry suit, I switched to Hollis F1 fins to keep my feet down. I'm like you in that my suits boots are just a little too big and I wear two pairs of super thick wool socks just to try and fill them up. I have not actually weighed the F1s, but the guy at the shop claimed they are about 3 # negative each. That seems pretty high to me, but I have no actual data to know one way or the other.

Have you considered:

- Fill-your-own ankle weights? I see them on LeisurePro

- Jury-rigging a temp solution with some nylon webbing or bungee and normal belt weights, just to see how much weight you need?

Stuart...that is a great point. I do have a bunch of 1lb weights I could jury-rig to test the weight and see what may work (if any). Thanks for the idea!

I would highly recommend fin keepers, especially if your boots are a bit big. They helped me a LOT and I still use them.

Physics is inexorable, and static weighting is what it is. If you are using plastic fins and an aluminum tank, a weight-integrated BC or waist belt may not be able to get enough weight low enough on your body to balance, and then you simply have to move ballast to your feet. Most of us end up with negative fins, which help, but if you haven't got them, ankle weights are a reasonable interim solution, and I would recommend the 2 pounders. You can always put a bit more air in your feet if they turn out to be too much.

It's a discussion, not a legal deposition.

Do you think that, with less than 100 dives, there is absolutely nothing that could be said to the OP that might help him with his actual problem? That he has thought of and considered everything?

OP, have you considered trying gaiters?

I guess ankle weights are good in that they increase the work of every fin stroke, thus improving the cardio workout that you get on the dive... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom