ankle weights for drysuit, how much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a discussion, not a legal deposition.

Do you think that, with less than 100 dives, there is absolutely nothing that could be said to the OP that might help him with his actual problem? That he has thought of and considered everything?

OP, have you considered trying gaiters?

I guess ankle weights are good in that they increase the work of every fin stroke, thus improving the cardio workout that you get on the dive... :D

the drysuit I have is a bare trilam HD with built in gators so gators really wouldn't help. I believe two things are going on in my situation. 1) The suit is a touch to big (especially in the feet) allowing more air down in the feet when im wearing 2 thick wool socks to take up space and 2) I was not wearing enough weight. I had a LOT of squeeze the first 2 dives trying to stay down, especially in shallows and have been slowly adding weight. The squeeze has become less and less and I have noticed a few observations, I am more easily able to move (not as constricted), I am warmer and I am less floaty in the feet. I think what was happening early on is that since I was wearing very little weight, that the upper portion of the suit was basically empty of air, while the built in boots still had a small amount of air which there is no way to remove. I honestly think I might even need a few more pounds and maybe I wont need any ankle weights. I went from a 7mm wetsuit wearing 20lbs of ballast (this is the weight of my weight belt and backplate) to trying the 20lbs ballast with the drysuit as that is where I was suggested to start. I then added 2lbs after those first 2 dives which helped. I then added 2 more (making a total of 24lbs ballast) and that helped even more. Maybe ill try another two this weekend before I purchase ankle weights.

the drysuit I have is a bare trilam HD with built in gators so gators really wouldn't help. I believe two things are going on in my situation. 1) The suit is a touch to big (especially in the feet) allowing more air down in the feet when im wearing 2 thick wool socks to take up space and 2) I was not wearing enough weight. I had a LOT of squeeze the first 2 dives trying to stay down, especially in shallows and have been slowly adding weight. The squeeze has become less and less and I have noticed a few observations, I am more easily able to move (not as constricted), I am warmer and I am less floaty in the feet. I think what was happening early on is that since I was wearing very little weight, that the upper portion of the suit was basically empty of air, while the built in boots still had a small amount of air which there is no way to remove. I honestly think I might even need a few more pounds and maybe I wont need any ankle weights. I went from a 7mm wetsuit wearing 20lbs of ballast (this is the weight of my weight belt and backplate) to trying the 20lbs ballast with the drysuit as that is where I was suggested to start. I then added 2lbs after those first 2 dives which helped. I then added 2 more (making a total of 24lbs ballast) and that helped even more. Maybe ill try another two this weekend before I purchase ankle weights.

Got it... yes, overall ballast is important to get squared away first when you start dry suit diving, so that you don't end up using the suit to compensate for overweighting.

Good luck!

My wife had ankle weights for some time before she switched to Jet fins. One thing she mentioned was that some types of weights shifted around her ankles a lot more and were not comfortable eg, XS Scuba ankle weights. It seemed like anything with a pouch with any length of webbing on the sides is not stable. The type that were fully uniform (like Durward ankle weights) were reported by her to be more stable and not move around during the dive.

replace the boots with a smaller size? shouldn't cost you too much

If the suit is to big your problems will continue, weights and extra socks will not fix the problem, it will cause new problems.

If the suit is to big your problems will continue, weights and extra socks will not fix the problem, it will cause new problems.

I understand this and that is why I am saving up for a custom fit DUI drysuit. I got this drysuit at a steal (Bare trilam HD for 250$, it came with a pee valve, thigh pockets, and no leaks) and wanted to test whether I even really truly wanted a drysuit. The suit works fine for me. The floating feet is really not noticeable until I go into a complete standstill hover (which I am rarely doing unless im practicing my DUI fundamentals). Honestly, it is not like my feet just suddenly float over my head. It is a very slow float upwards and not dangerous at all. Not even remotely dangerous. The suit will likely be fine for my recreational cold water dives until I get the money for the perfect fitting suit. I don't plan on doing my tec diving courses for another couple years and that is where I will NEED to have a proper fitting suit. I was simply looking to see if there was a short term cheap option to help correct the issue until end of next summer when I will likely have enough money for a custom suit.

This thread is reminding me that people do not read. OP now stating twice that the suit has gaiters, is temporary until a custom drysuit can be purchased...

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 08:57 PM ----------

And yes, sometimes ankle weights are the right thing.

I have twin steel 100s. No matter how high the tank bands, whether or not I use a tail weight, I am head heavy. Jet fins (which are really a kind of ankle weight) are not enough. However 1 lb ankle weights solve the problem.

Exactly Shoredivr. The OP's own body mass proportions may be adding to his issues. Necessitating some added ankle weight. It will be up to him to fine tune just how much weight he needs. From there he can make his own or buy some of the right weight. Be it 1, 1.5, 2 or what ever pounds he needs. I have that very same suit, and wear ankle weights along with my twin jet fins. BUT, I have socks on mine and wear rock boots over the socks. Which I love. Oh, and I have no pee valve. Huggies stuffed down the front work well for that (LOL). B.

This thread is ruining the ScubaBoard stats. 3 replies so far and 1 of them actually addressed the OP's actual question.

That's a direct reflection of what kind of choice ankle weights are.

Are you using the suit for buoyancy? If you only add enough air in the suit to relieve the squeeze and use your BC for its intended use you may eliminate the floaty feet problem without having to come up with a solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom