Anilao Underwater World Thru My G9.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Nunofs & Steen557!

Steen557 - Move in really slow and try not to provoke them! :wink:

Ed.

Hi Ed - Your pictures are fantastic. I really enjoyed looking at them and hope to some day be able to take such great pictures. I'm very, very new to underwater photography and have been researching a first camera to buy. I was set on purchasing the G9. However, I was at an underwater photography seminar over the weekend and the instructor mentioned that you can not use ttl in manual mode. If you don't mind my asking, is this a problem that I should be concerned about - or perhaps I even misunderstood the instructor. I'm very much a newbie at this. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! thanks

Beth

Hi Ed - Your pictures are fantastic. I really enjoyed looking at them and hope to some day be able to take such great pictures. I'm very, very new to underwater photography and have been researching a first camera to buy. I was set on purchasing the G9. However, I was at an underwater photography seminar over the weekend and the instructor mentioned that you can not use ttl in manual mode. If you don't mind my asking, is this a problem that I should be concerned about - or perhaps I even misunderstood the instructor. I'm very much a newbie at this. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! thanks

Beth

Hi Beth!
Thank you very much for the kind words.
I would say, the Canon G9 is an excellent camera. I believed if you use the Ikelite housing and certain strobe (Inon Z240 & etc), you're able to connect the camera and strobe, using the hotshoe (from the camera - housing - strobe). I don't think you should be overly concern on that part. I don't use TTL, so I'm not too sure on the part that you're asking. Hope the info helps!

Have fun and enjoy! :wink:

Ed.

Beth

We have a G7 w/ Ikelite DS125 setup here. I can't quote specifics for the G9, but I believe it's the same as the G7.
For the G7 it's true that it doesn't support TTL in Manual mode, but instead gives you full manual control of the flash output. So the only concern in Manual mode is that you have to tweak the flash output yourself which can take more time than letting TTL automagically do it for you.
It does support TTL in the other modes though, like Aperture and Shutter Priority.

Your work truely is breathtaking.

I am looking to buy my husband his very first UW camera for the holidays, and am trying not to break the bank, which seems very easy to do on UW cameras. With that said, do you use the canon housing or the Ikelite housing for the G9? Is this a camera that you would recommend for a beginning UW photographer. He loves his Nikon D80, but I am not sure we can afford the housing for it, plus...he is really still learning that camera and all of it's features. I don't think that is such a wonderful idea for him to be playing with the features in the water. Also, I saw that you were using the Inon z240, would this work with a D80 in the future if/when we do get eh Nikon housing? Thanks so much...I feel so lost with all this!

Melanie

We have a G7 w/ Ikelite DS125 setup here. I can't quote specifics for the G9, but I believe it's the same as the G7.
For the G7 it's true that it doesn't support TTL in Manual mode, but instead gives you full manual control of the flash output. So the only concern in Manual mode is that you have to tweak the flash output yourself which can take more time than letting TTL automagically do it for you.
It does support TTL in the other modes though, like Aperture and Shutter Priority.

Hi Sbutts!
Thanks for the info! :wink:

Ed.

Your work truely is breathtaking.

I am looking to buy my husband his very first UW camera for the holidays, and am trying not to break the bank, which seems very easy to do on UW cameras. With that said, do you use the canon housing or the Ikelite housing for the G9? Is this a camera that you would recommend for a beginning UW photographer. He loves his Nikon D80, but I am not sure we can afford the housing for it, plus...he is really still learning that camera and all of it's features. I don't think that is such a wonderful idea for him to be playing with the features in the water. Also, I saw that you were using the Inon z240, would this work with a D80 in the future if/when we do get eh Nikon housing? Thanks so much...I feel so lost with all this!

Melanie

Hi Melanie!

Thanks a lot for the very kind words! Anyway, I personally think that the Canon G9 is a very good camera to start with and even for the more experienced. I use my with the Canon housing, as it's stated below my signature. :wink:
The Inon Z240 would work with the D80, if your husband decide to use it, in the future. :D
Hope that the info helps!

Ed.

amazing stuff ed!

when we do finally get to dive together i'm bringing a disposable kodak for you to use so anything i take will have a chance to compare to your photos!

btw: your canon housing accepts add-on lenses? or there's an adapter?

Jag

Hi Ed and Sbutts -

Thanks so much for the information. It's tough being a newbie to this stuff and trying to figure out which camera to buy. It's a lot of info. to learn and absorb!

Beth

Ed - thanks for your response. It really helps. I am now looking into buying the G9 and the canon housing since it seems to work for you and is much cheaper than the Ikelite housing. I am concerned about mounting lenses on the canon housing. I read the one response from Zeeman with the link to adapting your housing to fit the Inon lens. That just seems very scarry and difficult. Is this along the lines of what you did for your camera? Are there adapters out there that can be bought instead. One other questiong that I have - I saw that you have 2 - UCL165SD lenses. Does that mean you have one sitting ontop on another, and did you have to adapt your camera lenses for this, or are they designed for that? Thanks in advance.

Melanie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom