Andria Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick Question...I see Pic's on the Internet of all kinds of Dishes and artifacts that people take from the Doria. Is this legal on this shipwreck. Do you need a permit to salvage the wreck? I only plan on diving this wreck in my dreams but it was somthing i was wondering about. Thanks

Have GOOD DIVING!!!!

DudleyNMU:
Just a quick Question...I see Pic's on the Internet of all kinds of Dishes and artifacts that people take from the Doria. Is this legal on this shipwreck. Do you need a permit to salvage the wreck? I only plan on diving this wreck in my dreams but it was somthing i was wondering about. Thanks

Have GOOD DIVING!!!!
I only know what I've read on the internet and in books, but...

The glory days of diving for artifacts on the Doria are pretty much over, do to deterioration and settling of the ship.

No permit is required. The ship rests in international waters.

To dive it for dishes in your dreams, read, Deep Descent - Death diving on the Andria Doria, The Last Dive, and Fatal Depth.

DudleyNMU:

Have GOOD DIVING!!!!

Timely question. It was 49 years ago today that the Andrea Doria was struck by the Stockholm. More info about that here.

I've read those books, and while I'd love to dive the Doria, I'm also scared.....well, you get the idea!

I didnt even realized that it was 49 years ago...Today

Check the Discovery Channel listings. Last Saturday there was an hour long show on diving the Andrea Doria. With the sinking anniversary date so close, I'm sure they'll show it again ( & again).

Rick Inman:
I only know what I've read on the internet and in books, but...

The glory days of diving for artifacts on the Doria are pretty much over, do to deterioration and settling of the ship.

No permit is required. The ship rests in international waters.

To dive it for dishes in your dreams, read, Deep Descent - Death diving on the Andria Doria, The Last Dive, and Fatal Depth.

On the contrary, I was speaking to some experienced Doria Divers and they said the deterioration has opened new areas to them. They said something about upper decks slipping off openeing up new places. I will go there someday, thats my goal.

Was the Purser's safe ever recovered? (by anyone?)

That was the "goal" of one of the expeditions many years ago
that was the feature of the Discovery Channel show.

J. Moyer owned the salvage rights to the wreck, I am unsure if his claim is still valid. If a permit was issued it would be through him.
A bank safe was recovered in 1984.
The people that I spoke with about some recent trips said that due to the breaking down of the wreck access to some places was opened up, while other landmarks and openings were destroyed.
-gm

mike_s:
Was the Purser's safe ever recovered? (by anyone?)

That was the "goal" of one of the expeditions many years ago
that was the feature of the Discovery Channel show.

Back
Top Bottom