Andrea Doria Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then again, would we want to live longer without goals and dreams in our lives?

Not saying you have to do stuff without thinking. You should prepare in the best way you can before you do something that can be dangerous, but not doing anything at all is always a lot safer then to do even a simple open water dive.

Hi Tribal,

We all have goals/dreams, exploring the Snake River Canyon, a wonderful goal/dream, jumping the Snake River Canyon, not so much.

I was never a fan of the post-script, ''He died doing what he loved''.

Rose.

...they were brought up by Chris and Chrissy Rouse (this was their local shop). This intrigued me enough to learn more and to read "The Last Dive". Seeing these physical mementos was inspiring, even if I'll never dive that wreck.

Just finished reading it -- thank you for the reference! Great story and I enjoyed the intimate view the author had of the entire period. I'm not sure that book is much of an endorsement for artifact hunting but it does give a lot of insight. I totally recommend reading it for those who have not.

The author does not really do much of a post-mortem on his own episode of the bends and I had a question. He made a beeline for the surface, then kept saying "I f'd up" over and over. Given that his dive buddy was near him at one point, wouldn't he have been better off going to the anchor line and at least burning through his remaining air before going up? Between his buddy and others that were diving, it seems possible that he may have encountered someone else that could have ferried bottles down to him or perhaps shared. It's almost the same question for the Rouse's, I know Chrissy was pulling water through his regulator, but if they had made it to the anchor line with even some shared air they would have lessened the deco debit as well as had some chance of an emergency resupply. Like the author they seem to have pulled the ascent trigger far too early.

One thing that jumped out at me in the book, when they are finally discussing the actual last dive. The expedition is described as smooth and successful just before the Rouses go down, but then a page or two later the author mentions that another diver had already been choppered off the boat for emergency deco. Is that a typical expedition? Three evacs on one trip? I would think the Coast Guard would have been billing that boat by the rescue at that point.

Reactions: OTF
Seriously man read especially what you have highlighted again and this time include some comprehension

I am not a diver but I have studied and followed the "Doria" since I was six years old, and listened to it go down.

The condition of the wreckage, as far as I am able to determine, has the port side totally collapsed. Gimbel's hole may exist, but as an part of the folded down remnant of the port side. My description of the liner is, she looks like a scooped out melon which has spilled its contents out onto the seabed.
Apparently gravity has had its way on the bow and the unsupported stern. With the bow pulled down there may be new opportunities to penetrate areas previously unexplored, such as the garage. One must take into account that the garage has likely become a catch-all of the same cabin debris previously encountered, including furniture, ceiling straps and the electrical cables. The stern has likely not fallen as far. The hull appears to be split in line with where the first class pool was situated. This might afford access to the kitchen spaces and more cabin debris. I suppose if you know exactly where you are going and have planned the dive with a healthy margin of safety, there remain artifacts to recover, and to me, this is exciting and might be satisfying; after all how many people have watched the ship sink versus those who have been aboard her since 1956?

Is it worth the risk and expense? Since it was sucha public and unthinkable event at the time, as it grabbed headlines all over the world, as the liner itself was simply a beautiful ship swallowed by the ocean, I'd offer a qualified "yes". This is more than a wreck dive. It touches a major maritime event of the 20th century. Whether the diver and dive boat crew are prepared to meet the challenge is an individual decision. At 73 years, the decision has been made for me.

Over the past several years, I have hoped to meet divers who have taken photos of the wreck, around a port hole or other feature, and would allow me to use them in a book for middle school students. I'd really like a piece of pool tiling where they have collapsed. I think my wreckage assessment is accurate.

I am not a diver but I have studied and followed the "Doria" since I was six years old, and listened to it go down.

The condition of the wreckage, as far as I am able to determine, has the port side totally collapsed. Gimbel's hole may exist, but as an part of the folded down remnant of the port side. My description of the liner is, she looks like a scooped out melon which has spilled its contents out onto the seabed.
Apparently gravity has had its way on the bow and the unsupported stern. With the bow pulled down there may be new opportunities to penetrate areas previously unexplored, such as the garage. One must take into account that the garage has likely become a catch-all of the same cabin debris previously encountered, including furniture, ceiling straps and the electrical cables. The stern has likely not fallen as far. The hull appears to be split in line with where the first class pool was situated. This might afford access to the kitchen spaces and more cabin debris. I suppose if you know exactly where you are going and have planned the dive with a healthy margin of safety, there remain artifacts to recover, and to me, this is exciting and might be satisfying; after all how many people have watched the ship sink versus those who have been aboard her since 1956?

Is it worth the risk and expense? Since it was sucha public and unthinkable event at the time, as it grabbed headlines all over the world, as the liner itself was simply a beautiful ship swallowed by the ocean, I'd offer a qualified "yes". This is more than a wreck dive. It touches a major maritime event of the 20th century. Whether the diver and dive boat crew are prepared to meet the challenge is an individual decision. At 73 years, the decision has been made for me.

Over the past several years, I have hoped to meet divers who have taken photos of the wreck, around a port hole or other feature, and would allow me to use them in a book for middle school students. I'd really like a piece of pool tiling where they have collapsed. I think my wreckage assessment is accurate.

Interesting timing; I got home late last night from diving the wreck. I was able to get 4 dives in early last week, and then unfortunately our second attempt to go out on Saturday evening was turned for weather. It is very interesting to read your expectation and compare it to what I experienced, albeit in just four dives that went by way to quick to even scratch the surface of understanding the wreck. Scooped out melon is a pretty accurate assessment. We were tied in high and the very stern, and all of our dives basically swept out diagonally down across the deck and down into the debris field. It seems like much of the decks and rooms have broken off, collapsed, or flattened in on each other so discernible penetration was somewhat limited in that area. However slowing down and trying to take it all in you could start to pick apart what it is still actual intact structure vs. piled up debris.
As far as artifacts, I literally felt like a kid in a candy store with not enough time to make a decision where to look. With everything spilled out there are endless crevices and holes to look into. I got very lucky and was able to find an intact cup complete with the "italia" branding on my second dive, and then saucers and a liquor bottle on later dives. Others brought up pieces of pool tiles, other bottles, and several deck planks.
I think the most surprising part of the trip was getting to meet a number of the guys that were diving it in the prime and are still local to that area. It was pretty special to hear some of their stories, and feel the excitement that they felt for us getting to go out there. There was certainly a sense of disappointment for how much the wreck has broken down and changed over the last several years, but an equal amount of eagerness at what new stuff the changes would expose. I've been reading the books since I was in middle school and have been fascinated by the history, but never really felt any strong desire or need to dive the wreck. Now I completely understand the allure and can't wait to go back.
I don't know that any of the guys would be willing to give up any tile, but I know a few had GoPros running for some of the dives. I will DM you with any good video that comes up once we get a chance to catch back.

Thank you guys! I would like to obtain some original images of a diver with anything recognizable off the ship. I'm thinking of a porthole, the props, similar things. As for "treasures", even a leg off a rotted deck chair would be pretty fantastic. A chunk of pool tile is a more permanent relic, so I understand any person's desire to hang onto the chunk.
I've written an unpublished book for middle schoolers about the wreck, using it to teach oceanography, lat. X long., currents, and ship itself. The only images I have for it are those I've drawn myself, but as they say, "seeing is believing". I'd love to receive digital or photo print images from the ship, as she sits today. I'm a retired science teacher and this is my way of "setting the hook".
I want to hear as much as people care to share! Thanks again!

I would like to obtain some original images of a diver with anything recognizable off the ship. I'm thinking of a porthole, the props, similar things.

Not exactly what you asked for but would this be useful?

1691419279678.png

I have a copy of the source photo but the copyright is owned by Bob Hollis' estate. The cover of a 50 year old Skin Diver Magazine could be considered fair use.

Not exactly what you asked for but would this be useful?

View attachment 796007

I have a copy of the source photo but the copyright is owned by Bob Hollis' estate. The cover of a 50 year old Skin Diver Magazine could be considered fair use.
If it's a clean copy, devoid of print, it would be perfect! If there's a personal message board, I can send you my email address.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom