Anderol 500 and 555

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shil

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been using Anderol 500 in my Bauer Utilus and needing oil to top up the level in this unit, my supplier sent me Anderol 555. It was not clear to me whether these two can be mixed.
Can 555 be used to top up on the existing 500, or do I have to drain out the 500 and refill with 555, ( which I am recluctant to do because of the prices of these oils ).

Thanks in advance

Shil

Anderol 500 is no longer made. Anderol 555 is a diester which is theoretically compatible with 500, also a diester. Possibly, 555 uses some new additive which is not compatible with the old oil but that is unlikely. Generally, the manufacturer only warns against mixing oils with different base stocks and that is not the case here.

The only difference I can find between 500 and 555 is that the latter has a higher flash point. That is good but I am not sure how they do it. Generally, that is accomplished by reducing something which has a high viscosity or substituting something with a low viscosity. This allows the manufacturer to use a higher viscosity base stock which would give a higher flash point number for the oil while keeping the target viscosity the same. In other words, it would remain an ISO 100. All the performance data other than flash pt look the same. I would have suspected that they were playing with the antioxidant, N-PHENYL-1-AMINONAPHTHALENE, but I don't see it. Anyway, industry seems to treat these oils as if they were the same or very similar.

Back
Top Bottom