and our next trip to Vancouver is ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if we all do meet up, i'd highly suggest we take a trip to the cut for a first dive.

We can cut the dive however you like :wink:

I will not be out for the dive. I will be on the Annapolis wreck doing prep work. They need people for Sunday.

I will catch you the next time you are up. Have a good dive.

Im out as well, sore throat starting
nose starting to get plugged up.

which blows cause when I get sick.. i get sick for weeks and my tuwanek trip is next weekend :(

I'm hoping to make it out.
I drive a silver Saturn 4 door sedan.
Hope to say hello to you and your freinds Bob.

Dale, it was great to meet you ... thanks for coming out and hooking up with our little group of divers. I also met BPeake, although briefly as we were finning up in the water ... he and a buddy were out for a bit of scootering (we saw them out on The Cut as well).

Saturday was interesting. It was raining and/or snowing heavily. We all got pretty wet just getting out to the Annapolis (didn't prepare for that sort of weather, as the forecast hadn't said it was going to be like that). But once on board, working down in the bowels of the ship, we warmed up and dried out. Spent the day cutting, sorting, and hauling pipes, valves, furniture, and pretty much whatever needed cutting, sorting, and hauling. It's just amazing the amount of work that goes into turning a 370-foot ship into a home for fishes and divers. At the end of the day, when it was time to pack up for the ride back to Horseshoe Bay, we were amazed at how heavily the snow was falling ... and even more amazed at the fact that it wasn't melting when it hit the water. There was a layer of slush growing steadily on the bay ... looked more like Alaska than south B.C. And as we headed back in, there was a growing concern among our group that perhaps we wouldn't get to dive the next morning after all.

But Sunday morning when I got up the rain had stopped and it had warmed up to about 37 degrees ... so off we went for Whytecliff. Cheng and I ended up only doing one dive ... water temp was 42 degrees at depth, and a bit colder in the shallows where it was mixed with fresh water snowmelt. But it was a great dive ... one of the better ones I've had on The Cut. We managed to get down to 114 ... where the cloud sponges start getting bigger. Someday I really HAVE to get out there with doubles, deco bottles, and a proper mix for a 175-200 foot dive ... wanna see what those sponges get like down at that depth.

Anyway ... here's some pics from our dive ...

A little warbonnet peeking out of his home in a cloud sponge ...
CIMG0008.jpg

Some tiny green shrimp that I've never seen before ... again, these were on the cloud sponges ...
CIMG0009.jpg

CIMG0012.jpg

A juvenile Puget (Howe?) Sound King Crab ...
CIMG0025.jpg

A golden dirona munching on a sponge ...
CIMG0032.jpg

A yellow-margin dorid (finally managed a decent picture of one of these) ...
CIMG0035.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nice pictures Bob, a baby king too. There is a lot of nice stuff to see deep on the cut. Yes, bring the twins and gas them up.

I was on the Annapolis Sunday and all I heard about from Howard was how well you folks had ate. Apparently you had some gourmet meals? He was also very grateful for all the work that you and your gang had done. Thanks

And yup, we are having some funny weather. Heading over to the ship, we went though a layer of ice on the ocean. No kidding, ice, about 1/4" or so thick. There was a layer visible stretching a couple of miles or more. Dove lookout point on Sat and it was raining going in and snowing when we came out.

So till next time.

Yeah, the secret to eating well when organizing an event ... just tell everyone we're gonna do a potluck lunch, and don't specify what anyone should bring. You'll end up with enough food to feed three times the number of people in the group ... :D

I probably won't get a chance to head back up (personally) until April ... but the rest of the group's gonna be back on the ship in February ... I'll be in Bonaire that week-end. March I'm stacked solid with classes.

The Feb. group wants to go back to Kelvin's Grove for their dive day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nice pictures Bob!
I really have to buy me one of those new fangled devices (cameras). My hand drawn slate "photos" never seem to impress the missus.
If any of the group post here tell them to let us know of the Kelvin Grove trip and perhaps some of us can meet up again.
Dale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom