anchoring a kayak to kelp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hm, Bluefish was actually exactly what I had in mind.

Well, first things first. I'm going to spend a couple of days fooling around with and free diving off my kayak before I even think about strapping on scuba gear. And even then I aim to make a few test dives in mellow, swim-able spots before heading out to those far kelp beds.

In the meantime, I'll experiment with rigging a real anchor. It just feels like the more cautious thing to do. The whole *point* here is to get out of the protected coves to sites that would be otherwise inaccessible -- but I don't want to be worried about my ride the whole time.

Plus, after many years of diving Monterey, I'm getting more and more excited about the north coast, and you seem to be speaking from experience here.

Astrofunk, you are wise to go paddling before you load gear, and to dive some easy places first.
I'd suggest that the last day of "just paddling" be with dive gear on board.

For those who don't dive kelp: Towing the yak is NOT an option in kelp. There are a few kelpless
sites where it would work (and I've seen it done ONCE in 1300 Monterey dives).

Back
Top Bottom