Anc to Cun sticker shock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you know, with all the cutback at Alaska Airlines and them now increasing how many miles it takes to redeem a ticket---I wonder how much cheaper a PFD sale is going to be this year...
I think it could go either way--really good to appease the loyal Alaska base after these new changes, or not so good in keeping with said changes.

You know bdshort, you can get the award ticket and then rebank the miles if the PFD sale is good. I think the charge is only $25 to cancel and rebank. That way you are covered either way. Waiting on the award is not a good idea, imo.

I agree, I just ordered my tickets tonight. 30,000 miles for the flight down and $600 roughly with tax for the flight back, flying through LAX and SEA.

For business and pleasure my wife and I spend way too much time on Alaska Air. We've noticed with our trips this year (we are just a bit shy of Gold) ticket prices are up, depending on destination, about 40% from six months ago.

BUT, they haven't added seats so there is still decent, by today's standards, leg room. And we still have the flights.

One piece of really good news though. The crew on the last flight were discussing what appears to be a very serious corporate decision coming. Obese people are finally going to be required to buy two seats. We are so tired of people who cannot fit into one seat taking up half of the adjoining seat when they, literally, slop over into that seat's space.

I've lived here most of my life and have never been on to want to leave Alaska. But, this is one of the things that may eventually cause me to leave Alaska. As of today a ticket Jnu to CUN next Feb, costs a minimum $1042. Sea to Cun for the same dates is $465. The more I think about the missed opportunities because of this, the more I consider leaving.

Dave

I think we are going to go to Hawaii instead this winter. Tickets from ANC to HNL are only $630 which means I can get 2 for less than $700. I'd rather do the caverns but $1300 is a lot to shell out.

On the bright side Dave, the PFD is going to be over $2000 per person this year and it looks like we will be getting some sort of resource rebate as well--at least $500. There is no where in the lower 48 as beautiful and peaceful as Alaska--if you moved out you probably be back inside of 2 years.

My parents lived here 28 years, then retired and moved to western Oregon. They have no desire to come back as far as I can tell, they like the weather too much! I think they'd like me to move near them, which would be great, except as far as I've heard, the shore diving down there sucks! :(

My parents as well.

I love Alaska but, as my kids grow and we see the opportunities they are missing and that we missed growing up here we really start to think about leaving.

My wife really liked Portland, but my problem with that is the lack of diving. I tend to think Bellingham since there is more diving and it's closer to BC where the diving is great!

Dave

Well, I've decided to give up on Mexico this time around. Maybe next summer. We'll be headed to Oahu this January instead. $700 got me 2 tickets non-stop to HNL and Island Divers has an all you can dive package that is a killer deal.

Maybe the fares to Cancun will go down by this time next year.

I'm working on a home exchange with a condo owner in Akumal, we were there last month and loved it. One of the owners wants to come here so hopefully it works out.

One nice thing about living here is people want to come here and the home exchange thing looks pretty cool!

Dave

My parents as well.

I love Alaska but, as my kids grow and we see the opportunities they are missing and that we missed growing up here we really start to think about leaving.

My wife really liked Portland, but my problem with that is the lack of diving. I tend to think Bellingham since there is more diving and it's closer to BC where the diving is great!

Dave
We raised our kids in Anchorage (lived there for 20 years). when we did travel to to lower 48 with them it was MAJOR culture shock! My son who is 28 is still having a hard time adjusting to California! The reason we left is that the kids both moved out and we wanted to start traveling more, but the price from Anch was out of our range to take as many trips as we wanted to. my son moved here about 3 years after we left and wants to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom