analogue depth gauge being damaged by airplane ride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read somewhere that an analogue depth gauge can be damaged when traveling by airplane if it is not in a special case. I haven't seen this anywhere else so assume it is just someone trying to sell pelican cases. In theory it seems that the difference in pressure could cause problems but I have a feeling that in reality the pressurized cockpit of a plane will not be a problem.

So can someone verify this for me?

I fly with mine ... no problem ...

an airliner cabin altitude never gets above about 8000 feet anyway... you could drive that high going through the mountains ..

And the pelican cases have over-pressure relief valves, so the inside of the case would equalize while at altitude anyway ... so it would provide NO protection. (They are designed for keeping pressure OUT, not keeping pressure IN)

Most of my dive trips involve air travel. So far my analog depth guage is no worse for wear from that. I would be a lot more concerned about the generally rough treatment dive gear gets in normal use.

I think that most of carry our computers in our carry-on bags, rather than in checked luggage. The latter may be subjected to less pressurization and to colder temps than the computer is designed for.

A typical gauge is calibrated to display pressures of 8 atmospheres or more.

The change from 1 to 0.5 (or even less than that) it will experience in a plane is insignificant and wont damage it.

There is a far higher % of it being damaged when a baggage handler hurls it out of the hold onto the tarmac then jumps on it.

Susceptibility to damage depends on the design of the instrument. I have an old SPG that was almost certainly "damaged" by a plane ride. (I don't know for sure whether this happened in the cabin, or whether my reg accidently flew cargo, since I only noticed the problem a while later.) On this particular SPG (a Suunto), there is a plastic post at the zero mark. It appears that when the atmospheric pressure dropped, the needle stopped at the post, but the spindle to which the needle was attached kept going. The result is that the needle now reads (consistently) 250 psi too high. Since it's a sealed unit, there is no obvious way to recalibrate it. I recall, perhaps incorrectly, that most oil-filled depth gauges cannot be calibrated, but air-filled (diaphragm) gauges can. I'd be careful taking an non-calibratable analog instrument on a plane, even in the cabin. That said, I've taken my (Suunto) computer along on lots of plane rides. Doesn't seem to hurt the digital pressure sensor.

DandyDon:
I think that most of carry our computers in our carry-on bags, rather than in checked luggage. The latter may be subjected to less pressurization and to colder temps than the computer is designed for.

Just so you know ... the cargo hold is part of the same pressure-vessel as the cabin and is heated by the same air ... temp will end up a little cooler just because there's not as much air-flow down there.

Back
Top Bottom