An overdue introduction...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadbilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks! I wanted to introduce myself. [size=-2]Don't be put off by the dour username, it's the one I've been using since the dawn (OK, mid-morning) of the internet and I would just confuse myself if I stopped now. [/size]

I've been lurking this forum on and off over the past 10 months or so. I've been impressed by the supportive & tight knit camaraderie that's evident on the boards. I'm still a relatively new diver, but I'm learning, and I want to learn more. I've been slowly acquiring what gear I can as money and/or charity allows, and now all I'm missing is a reg and a timer/computer. I've been diving an inherited backplate/wing and I love it. I'm interested in the long hose setup but haven't had the chance to give it a try (it not being something that's typically found in a shop's rental inventory). From extensive reading, that way seems to make sense to me and the kind of diving I want to do. Although, honestly, I'm less interested in the finer points and arguments about gear configuration than I am in learning how to be a better diver with whatever equipment I may have at hand.

So I was wondering: are there any DIR/long hose divers out there who'd be willing to maybe show me around**? Obviously, I couldn't help but be the weaker link, but I'd do my best not to be a burden. My medium-term goal is to take Essentials and/or Fundies but for now I just don't have the cash. Barring that, informal mentorship slash dive buddies with those better versed than I is what I'm looking for. On top of that, I managed to land a science diving internship at Scripps this summer (about which I'm extremely excited) and I'd like to hone my skills as much as possible between now and then so I flail a bit less.

(If anyone is interested/available next week, I have the week off -- although I may have plans in the latter half).

Thanks! And hello!

mykle

**Or anyone else - I don't want to limit myself.

P.S. You might be interested to see how we prepare dive sites in Antarctica:

and:

Where do you dive / want to dive?

I'm confident that you'll have little problem finding a long hose mentor or two or three or more.

Sorry, I guess norcal is larger than just the central coast :bonk:. I want to dive anywhere, but Monterey is the most convenient as I'm partially based in Santa Cruz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom