An interesting dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy, my lovely bride and I do this occasionally, mainly when we are on vacation where we each have rented AL80’s. She hardly uses any air and we can squeeze in some extra bottom time. We also discuss the practice with the DM and other divers beforehand so they won’t worry when/if they see us doing it. I would not do this with anyone, just her.

I don’t understand why some people get twisted up about it, but oh well.

I saw this practice in French Polynesia and in Belize in the last couple of years. The receiver had signalled OOA (once toward me) and the DM gave them their octopus. To my surprise, they continued the dive as if nothing was amiss. We all continued diving for at least another 10 minutes or so, and then they did their safety stop together. On the next dive, some of them were given a larger tank, perhaps a 104 or something. It surprised me. I got the feeling they did not want other customers to be put off by the slightly "shortened" dive, although I think ending the dive would have been the prudent thing to do. I can see ladycute1's point of avoiding a long rough surface swim, but at least the diver should monitor their own air consumption and signal long before they're completely out of air.

If they're taking the "advanced" class, shouldnt they be able to monitor their own air?
You would think so wouldn't you!? Many students get the surprise of their lives on how much air they consume at 125 ft.

IMHO, to do so just to get more bottom time is "not" a good idea. This violates all the safety rules we were taught in the begining about keeping a reserve air supply to allow for emergencies.

To do so to make your way back UW, instead of on the surface to end the dive, "absolutely".

To continue the dive while sharing air is just plain dumb. On the other hand, letting a low on air diver breath of someone's pony at the safety stop I think is no big deal. In fact, I do this sometimes in my advanced course.
I don't treat my divers like babies and expect them to plan and monitor their own air consumption. If during a deep dive I see that they dangerously pass their minimum ascent pressure I will call the dive, but If they only pass it by a little bit, I will say nothing and once they are at their safety stop with 300psi with 2 minutes left before ascent, I will donate my pony reg so they can safely finish their stop, and they will switch back to theirs to surface.

Why are you using the pony instead of your octo?

IMHO, to do so just to get more bottom time is "not" a good idea. This violates all the safety rules we were taught in the begining about keeping a reserve air supply to allow for emergencies.

I don't see the problem.

When I have seen it done, the diver in question always had sufficient air in their own tank to surface safely (even with a buddy). And they were on their way back to the boat and going shallower and shallower.

What is the difference with a diver who has independant doubles? In this case, one of the doubles is on the dm's back.

Now, if they first sucked their tank dry and then switched to the DM, whole different story.

However, help me understand how this is dangerous? Since both parties still have plenty of air and we practice this all the time in training. Unwise as it's alarming to others, yes, but dangerous might be a harsh word.

I think you are wrong and right all at the same time. Is air sharing dangerous, no. It does task load you though, so you are less likely to notice or react properly to an emergency. (kind of like talking on your cell phone while you drive) You learned the skill on your OW as an emergency procedure, not so you can use it on every dive

Why are you using the pony instead of your octo?

In a worst case scenario, it would allow me to clip my pony on them, (which I sling) without them having to switch reg yet again.

I did it once, when a guest was using his air too quickly and we wanted to go to a particular site. I put him on my octopus when he still had a half full tank. Once we got to our destination his consumption reduced. It was a drift-type dive anyway, so after we'd done what we wanted to do we surfaced, with him back on his own tank.

It's only the once, but in similar circumstances I'd do it again. I don't see any safety implications at all. Mind you, the diver needs more training to reduce his air consumption.

I don't see the problem.

When I have seen it done, the diver in question always had sufficient air in their own tank to surface safely (even with a buddy). And they were on their way back to the boat and going shallower and shallower.

Learn how to read bud. In my second paragraph I said that doing so to make your way back UW to END the dive so as to avoid a long surface swim was OK.

To do so to CONTINUE a dive is NOT OK, IMHO = IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

What is the difference with a diver who has independant doubles? In this case, one of the doubles is on the dm's back.

Where on this thread do you see where ANYONE is using DOUBLES? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom