An HP leaking Dacor Viper 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you didn't open up the HP end of the reg I don't think that what you've done at the diaphragm end has any effect on the creeping IP pressure.
You will need to open up the other end and at least inspect the seat face for pits and lube the seat shaft where it seals in the balance chamber.
I did open it up, but I found no problem at the seat rubber. Flat and clean. I was kind of surprised and tried to find an obvious clue of the HP creep, but found nothing particularly.. Only some minor white stuff inside and dirt outside. I just couldn't find out what caused the creep- I cleaned some parts with water+tissue, and changed the small O-ring in the HP seat just in case. It wasn't so worn out compared to the new one though. Put it back together, and works fine now..
And do I have to lube the seat shaft too? I only have silicone grease and I've used it for O-rings and yoke threads only.

I would guess that changing the balance chamber o ring did the trick.
A bit of silicone grease on that new o ring and/or seat shaft can't hurt.

I would guess that changing the balance chamber o ring did the trick.
A bit of silicone grease on that new o ring and/or seat shaft can't hurt.
Can an O-ring negatively affect the regulator without visual abrasions? I guess so, but I'm curious how. Should there be more than visual inspection?

And as in balance chamber, are you referring to the HP chamber, IP chamber or both? Sorry I'm not familiar to these terms.

Different manufacturers call it different things but the balance chamber is the small "cup" that the shaft of the seat fits into (with the small spring in between the seat and chamber).
The o ring inside the "cup" will wear over time as the seat moves up and down. A worn o ring will leak and cause the Initial problem you were encountering.(as will a worn or pitted HP seat).
The balance chamber o ring and seat are the main parts used to service a diaphragm 1st stage.
The actual diaphragm in a diaphragm 1st stage is simply a seal that transmits ambient pressure to the guts of the reg and rarely needs replacing.

Last edited:
Different manufacturers call it different things but the balance chamber is the small "cup" that the shaft of the seat fits into (with the small spring in between the seat and chamber).
The o ring inside the "cup" will wear over time as the seat moves up and down. A worn o ring will leak and cause the Initial problem you were encountering.(as will a worn or pitted HP seat).
The balance chamber o ring and seat are the main parts used to service a diaphragm 1st stage.
Oh, now I understand. I believe that was the problem then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom