An extraordinary pioneer in rebreathers, Dr. Christian Lambertsen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dear friends:

It is my privilege to present to you the extraordinary story of Dr. Christian Lambertsen, a pioneer in Rebreathers and very notable figure in our beloved sport of scuba diving.

Please enjoy it and marvel at what was done by this extraordinary human being.

Compressor

So cool.

Given the propensity of government Web sites to reorganize and break links, I created the attached Acrobat file to preserve it for future readers.
Fantastic. Thank you @Akimbo,

The attached 18 page pdf file describes history of Oxygen rebreathers in the US Navy, which, can't be discussed without detailing Dr. Lambertsen's work.

Closed-circuit oxygen diving in the U.S. Navy.​
F. K. BUTLER, Jr.​
Naval Special Warfare Command Detachment Pensacola, Florida​

Attachments

• Closed-circuit oxygen diving in the US Navy.pdf
    664.3 KB · Views: 116
Given the propensity of government Web sites to reorganize and break links, I created the attached Acrobat file to preserve it for future readers.
It's almost like every agency has a fairy godmother in charge of hiding or losing all the valuable web content while keeping up all the dreck about what a great job they are doing.
Thanks for the permanent version.

It's almost like every agency has a fairy godmother in charge of hiding or losing all the valuable web content while keeping up all the dreck about what a great job they are doing.

To be fair, it is sort of understandable. It would take a great deal of foresight to create an archicture that works as Websites grow over time. The reason ScubaBoard's links (URLs) to posts don't break, even over 20+ years, is all our content is stored in a database so the post index number never changes — no matter what forum a post or thread is moved to or how we rename/reorganize our forums.

Wikipedia's URLs also seem to be very durable over time. I imagine they also use a database to either direct searches to the contend stored as files in a directory structure or inside an actual database.

@Compressor

Thank You for the post of a great man who contributed so much for so long.

Some years ago, possibly 25-30 I was working with Peter & Sharon Ready on a book on the history and function of rebreathers. At that time Peter was busy perfecting his rebreather which he referred to as "A Steam Machine"

Several historical-technical questions needed answers which only Dr. Lambertsen could answer. I obtained his telephone number and called him expecting a secretary and 50 questions be answered before I would be allowed to speak to the Doctor.

Wrong!

Much to my surprise Doctor Lambertsen answered and we had a very informative conversation. I called him several more times often asking questions for Peter or Sharon.

During one conversation I asked Sharon to call the doctor directly, Sharon and Peter were very proper English and had not acclimatized to American ways, they were horrified at the suggestion of calling without a proper introduction.

I called Dr. Lambertsen, informed him of Peter's research and that they needed to chat but were very proper English and needed and introduction which I had just performed.

Sharon called and had a " proper chat" (English term?) with the very approachable and likeable Doctor. I recall Sharon immediately telephoning me so excited about her conversation with the very knowledgeable friendly doctor

That was a long time ago....

The book was never published, at least by the Ready's.
(@Akimbo a story for the dark of the night over a cool one)

They departed SoCal and settled in the same small Tennessee town where I attended summer military school so long ago-- but still maintain their English accents and proper manners even though they are now very proud card caring naturalized Americans.

And that's my story ....
SDM

@100days-a-year

@Marie13

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom