An amazing documentary on white sharks - Must see...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that! Really enjoyable, fairly fast-paced and educational documentary. 'Mike' is one brave man.

With all the 'press' people diving with white sharks cageless has been getting, this documentary has content that's important to note. On one occasion he's free diving/snorkeling and interacting with one, but another shows up. The 2'nd behaves more aggressively; might be interested in taking a 'test bite.' He draws on his experience to swim down to its level, a 'power position,' after it swims past, as he's learned how to communicate with GWS via body posture.

Of course, if you're free-diving & can't hold your breath all that long...

My point is, while people dive cageless with these guys, no 2 great whites are identical, and there's always the chance that one will move in, building toward an attack. And someone who lacks the seasoned knowledge, skill and nerve of this guy could get 'sampled.' Of course, he could end up bitten himself, but less likely than I would be!

He also points out, and demonstrates, that something moving away from a predator entices it to follow, and he works this into his interaction. Many people seeing a great white in the wild would be inclined to swim away from it, and back toward the boat (moving to a higher level, not a power position), which could in theory inadvertently incite an attack.

I wonder how his findings would carry over to tiger sharks, bull sharks & others considered potentially dangerous?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom