An afternoon with George

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterlover

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterlover and I spent the afternoon listening to a presentation by George Irvine III. What a difference from the internet to in person. When I first started reading the techdiver list, etc., I was definitely turned off by George and DIR. I thought he was an arrogant SOB, but then I got past the BS and started paying attention to what really was being said. I was slowly assimiliated to the gear configuration.

Today I was convinced by the soft-spoken director of the WKPP. He was willing to answer any question from gear configuration to decompression. I was quite impressed by his knowledge of physiology and its relationship to decompression. A two-hour presentation turned into a 3 1/2-4 hour presentation. I learned a lot and was definitely worth the 3 1/2 hour drive. I have a new respect for his accomplishments and knowledge.

The gear configuration was explained and a description was given as to why each piece was needed. There was nothing done to fix a problem that created another problem. It is kept very simple. So simple, that it even works for recreational divers.

For those that are interested, National Geographic will have a special with some awesome footage of Wakulla. They didn't know when the show will be aired.

Stacey

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and learned something also. He is a great guy in person.
I had the oppurtunity to listen to and meet him in March at the OCDA conferance(last year it was JJ).

Talk about a couple of great guys who know an extreme amount and are very willing to impart thier knowledge. They will definately teach people things, if they are willing to listen.

I have seen the footage on Wakulla twice(IMAX), pretty amazing huh?

Glad to hear you are being slowly "assimilated". You won't be dissapointed.

Do you know if anyone video or audio taped that one?

Mike

It is nice to hear that he is not the overbearing buttcheese in person that he comes off as on the internet. However, since I only know his internet personality, that is all I can judge him by.

I would love to meet him in person and be able to actually sit down and talk to him for a few hours and pick his brain. I admire the hell out of what he has accomplished, and hate to think of him the only way I know how. It would be refreshing to know that he is a nice guy.

Waterlover,
Were you guys in my neck of the woods at the GI talk (Virginia)?

Yep:)

Yooper: I will try to get you a copy of the video.
Ken

I knew I should have changed my plans and made the trek to the GI thing...

Maybe I will see you guys next time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom