An actual legitimate use for spare air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I also am considering in using tank mount via my BCD tank straps, as shown in the video, below. I may try to slip the tank bands through the holster black straps as shown in the video instead of attaching velcros. That means the holster will be there all the time and I need to transport the SA separately without the holster.

I may not ever use it as I always watch my SPG and never got into OOA at depth situation in 15 years of diving with 800+ logged dives, until last November, when I got into a 12 minute deco and had to stay below 10' (3m) for that long in order to keep my dive computer (DC) from locking up if I surfaced before clearing the deco obligation. My dive buddy's DC was only showing 2 minutes of deco. Finally I ran out of air at 1 minute remaining of deco time. DM took my DC off my wrist before I CESA and kept it down at the 10' depth until the deco obligation was cleared. My DC must be overly conservative or I didn't set the right Nitrox setting.

I don't ever plan on needing mine. I like it out of the way. Once or twice a dive I reach back and just feel for the velcro tab. I never have any trouble finding it. You understand I have it upside down, tucked beside the main tank. You have to add velcro or it will fall out. Been there, done that.

I don't ever plan on needing mine. I like it out of the way. Once or twice a dive I reach back and just feel for the velcro tab. I never have any trouble finding it. You understand I have it upside down, tucked beside the main tank. You have to add velcro or it will fall out. Been there, done that.

I understand what you referring to as shown in this picture, below.

7399FA61-2D77-4F11-B0EB-0F09823E9036.jpeg

However, if you slide the BCD tank straps, each through one the SA holster black slots, as shown in the picture, below, you won’t need velcro, would you?

B27A2B1D-0B97-4543-8950-AE7499A50E91.jpeg

I understand what you referring to as shown in this picture, below.

View attachment 618424

However, if you slide the BCD tank straps, each through one the SA holster black slots, as shown in the picture, below, you won’t need velcro, would you?

View attachment 618425
Problem is that the velcro that holds the bottle in is not strong enough to reliably hold it upside down. I just added more velcro past the pull ring. Without that I found my bottle trailing behind me on the leash.

Reactions: Dan
Problem is that the velcro that holds the bottle in is not strong enough to reliably hold it upside down. I just added more velcro past the pull ring. Without that I found my bottle trailing behind me on the leash.

Ah. Now I understand what you mean. Thanks for the tips! I’ll do the same then.

what is the benefit of refilling your spare air from your main tank?.....wouldnt it be better to just leave that air in the tank?

thats like siphoning a gallon of gas out of your fuel tank, and carrying it in a fuel bottle in your trunk in case you run out of gas.

also, how often are you resorting to emergency gas that needing it easy to fill is a big concern to you?
The benefit is that the pony bottle is full until you have to dump it to get back on a plane - a week (20+ dives) for most trips. I fill my 13cuft pony with a transfill whip from my main tank. So my very first dive of that trip i've got slightly less gas for the dive... not a big deal. The other 19 dives get to be done with increased safety as a result.

A pony isn't a stage, you shouldn't be actually breathing off it unless you're just practicing with it. If you did have to use the pony, you might need to chill at a bar for a day and rethink your life because you nearly lost it when you went OOA.

If you're using the pony (or spare air) regularly then something is wrong. Using as in actually breathing from it other than practicing with it.

One big benefit to using a pony/spare air with a transfill is that you never have to worry about whether or not your destination operator will be okay with filling it or not.

regarding spare air, well i think they are great for what they are originally designed for (providing emergency air to aircrew)...

From Spare Air website:

I'D LIKE TO TELL YOU WHY I INVENTED SPARE AIR...

Larry Williamson, Inventor of Spare Air

Larry Williamson, Inventor of Spare Air displays the HEED II and Spare Air back in 1986.
"One night I was lobster diving in the beautiful, clear cool waters off the coast of Catalina Island. After a short time, I realized I had failed to check my air supply. As I went to check it, I took a breath and discovered there wasn't one to be had. I panicked for a moment...got myself together and swam quickly toward the surface with the unnerving sense that it was too far away and I wouldn't make it! In this rush for the precious air far above at the surface, I began to black out...my only thought was... If I only had one more breath of air.
For days after this experience I would awake in a sweat during the night. Then I began to notice a recurring thought I had...it was the last words I recalled as I blacked out.... If only I had one more breath. Why was this coming back to me over and over again? Was I given a second chance to live for a reason? Then it dawned on me. There are others that didn't, don't or won't make it...There are others blacking out and never waking up... if they only had one more breath of air!
So the story ends with the present. SPARE AIR was born, and out of it my commitment to educate the world about preventable drowning and safe diving. I feel diving is safe, but it can and should be made safer. You, too, can join the quest and become part of the story of SPARE AIR."
Larry Williamson,
Inventor - Spare Air

From Spare Air website:

I'D LIKE TO TELL YOU WHY I INVENTED SPARE AIR...

Larry Williamson, Inventor of Spare Air

Larry Williamson, Inventor of Spare Air displays the HEED II and Spare Air back in 1986.
"One night I realized that PT Barnum grossly underestimated the number of suckers born each minute."
Inventor - Spare Air
FIFY.

Back
Top Bottom