Amphos Violation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good evening folks,

did some pool diving tonight with the dive team and used my amphos. It’s been a while since I used it in a dive but tonight I entered the water and as soon as I got submerged it showed “violation”, a full nitrogen bar, an ascent bar, and the word up. I’ve tried going through the manual and can’t find where I have any odd settings, and I know I haven changed any in the year I haven’t dived with it. Any thoughts?

Maybe the battery needs replacing? Since you haven't used it for a long time...

I’ll try it out. I’ve been wearing it as a watch everyday for about a year now and it hasn’t had any issues in that regard.

I bought a "new" one, likely old stock/display unit and about after a year, the low battery indicator did flash. I've yet to dive with it and it is always on. I'm just guessing you might have missed the tiny icon? The warning it gave you would be something I'd guess it would do to prevent diving with it if the battery is too low. Again, just a guess.

If it ends up needing service, you need to go through a dealer, as Sherwood doesn't handle warranties directly.

Hi @PoPo Diver

Was the computer in dive mode before you descended or was it water activated? If the former, what did it display? What did it do once you surfaced? Did it go into violation gauge mode or something else? If it went into VGM, what did it do over the next 24 hours, did it clear or did the display continue to display something else?

I dived a similar Oceanic computer, Geo2, for many years, so am reasonably familiar with the Amphos. I had low battery display many times, the behavior you describe would seem very unusual for low battery. Of course this is a quick and easy thing you can try.

Though perhaps unlikely, is there any way the computer could have been active in dive mode, a change in altitude, increase in pressure, that could have registered as a long dive, exceeding NDL and creating the violation? If the computer allows, it would be interesting to check the log history.

Let us know how it goes, best of luck

I kept it in water activated (5feet for 5 seconds). When I surfaced it just showed violation and reverted back to watch mode. I hadn’t flown with it and as of now in log mode it just says violation. I’m coming out of the 24 hour lock out now so I’ll see what I can figure out. Thanks for all the input!

555668B2-F60F-4042-88D8-339FC96934C7.jpeg
All it shows as of now, outside my 24 hour lockout, is just that it believes I was way over nitro loaded AND came up too fast. I’m supposed to dive the same conditions tonight and I’ll see what it does then. Has anyone ever sent their Sherwood back for reset or anything? Was wondering the process and any hang ups they had.

I had a Sherwood Vision that stopped registering pressure correctly. I contacted Sherwood via email and they told me that they don't handle warranties directly, that I needed to return it to the point-of-sale, which for me, was Leisure Pro. Leisure Pro was great. They took the Vision back and said it would take 4-6 weeks. After six weeks, I contacted them to ask about status and they apologized and shipped me a new one since it was taking so long.

Back
Top Bottom