Amounts of pressure within 33 ft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason you get taught that every 33ft the pressure increases 1 ATM is because it’s an easy way to relay the information. I would be a lot more difficult to teach novice divers algebraic equations to figure out pressure or give you an inch by inch or foot by foot pressure difference.

That said, the pressure is always increasing as you go deeper...whether it be 1 mm or 1 inch or 10 feet. 33 ft is just an easy way to teach it and understand it. You could get into exact details but it would just be confusing.

On other post you have plenty of information to understand some of the detail.

If you really want to screw with someone's head, try explaining why the 5# of lead ballast only weighs 5# until they jump in the water.

I lifted weights on a submarine a couple hundred feet under water and they still felt just as heavy...

I lifted weights on a submarine a couple hundred feet under water and they still felt just as heavy...

But that's different - the pressure pushing up on the entire sub negates the volumetric decrease in weight presented by the bar/weights - of course this doesn't count the effect of overly fed crew members in neoprene workout suits.:wink:

I guess nut squeeze could be mitigated by peeing to equalize pressure inside the suit then.

This is an incredibly innovative concept. In the past I'v only used the substance as a warming agent.

You could wear split fins, and since they are so fast you could swim between the water molecules thus avoiding the pressure altogether!

:shocked2:

Wouldn't your gear wear out quicker, due to the added friction brought about with such high speed manoeuvring?

If the PSI is doubled over the first 33 ft, does this mean that the same pressure experienced at 10ft would be the same at 15ft, 20, 25 all the way to 33?
There are infinite pressure values between 10ft and 33ft:D

Infinite x 4.... PSI, ATM, ATA, BAR.....

You rotter, you've left out my favourite; Newtons per square millimetre.

Mind you, I've have my computer's ascent rate set to furlongs per fortnight (around 1000, since you ask)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom