amount of weight to use..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle once bubbled...
ok i bought a few used bare supra drysuits and i want to do this right..i went in the water with a friend and had 22 lbs of lead and couldnt sink...made sure that all the air was out of the suit before i geared up..was wondering what the norm was in terms of how much weight to start off with....

I use the same amount of weight with my drysuit as I do with my single-piece wetsuit.

But having said that, I agree with the others who have suggested taking a drysuit class before venturing into the open water. That is what I did when I got my own drysuit.

thanks to those who were kind enough to help without coming down on me..went into a friends indoor pool tonight with a diver who had been diving dry for sometime and it turned out i needed 24 lbs to get down easily once he taught me what to do and how to do it..(getting all the air out of my suit ect..) and not once did i end up coming up feet first..am going to meet with him this weekend and next week as well..thing is boy did i sweat.lol but i had fun..

snuggle once bubbled...
thanks to those who were kind enough to help without coming down on me..

Let me try to ask an honest question... no undertones, no insults. I'm just really curious.

Why are you so opposed to taking a drysuit class?

spector im not opposed to taking a class..the only place near here that offers one isnt till the spring..trust me if i could take a class right now i would..since i cant take a course right now il do the next best thing and thats be with someone who can teach me what need to know and who has been diving for sometime..at least hes nice enough to take the timeout of his schedule to teach me..never once did i say that i didnt want to take a course..why some people are harping on that issue i have no idea..like some other divers have said to me in pms..the best way sometimes is to just be around divers who have experiance diving dry..everyone on this board has their opinions about things and thats great,it doesnt mean that they are always right though..i respect those that have taken the time to asnwer my questions ,but i respect those more who do it without undertones..

snuggle once bubbled...
spector im not opposed to taking a class..the only place near here that offers one isnt till the spring..trust me if i could take a class right now i would..

That seems strange to me. Around here they tend to have more DS classes during the winter, and most of the shops require drysuits between december and may... and will build the drysuit class into any class if you need it.

But of course, I'm not in your area, so you could be right... it just seems strange to me.

snuggle once bubbled...
well i see that mikeS is up to his same ol holier then though stuff again..i did learn from what happened thats why im asking questions about weight..i wont go alone thats for sure i just wanted some idea where to start as to weight..as for your notion im going down the same path well you can think what you will because like i told you sometime before i really dont care what you think,thats the bottom line..but wait ..you have never made a mistake right mike...well i heard from a very good source about an incident that you have..and mike ferrara i agree with you to take a course but since there isnt one till the spring a diver i know has offered to teach me in his indoor pool...like i said i wont go alone ever again..thats the bottom line..hey mikeS have a good evening..

I’m glad that you learned not to dive solo but that should have been only part of the lesson. Based on your description you once again went into the OW in a dry suit you were unfamiliar with, sounds like the same path to me.

I don’t see what it has to do with this situation but I’ve made plenty of mistakes and I like to think I learn from them. If you think we can learn from it please share your very good source and the details of my incident.

snuggle once bubbled...
thanks to those who were kind enough to help without coming down on me..went into a friends indoor pool tonight with a diver who had been diving dry for sometime and it turned out i needed 24 lbs to get down easily once he taught me what to do and how to do it..(getting all the air out of my suit ect..) and not once did i end up coming up feet first..am going to meet with him this weekend and next week as well..thing is boy did i sweat.lol but i had fun..

Learning in the pool is much safer than learning in the open water and it appears that you now have a mentor which is a good thing. I can’t tell from your post if you did or not but one of the things you do in the class is intentionally go feet up so you can learn how to recover.

I don’t see how suggesting you take a dry suit class and pointing out that you are taking a dangerous path is “holier then though” or “coming down” on you. And it does seem that you’ve listened, if not me than others, and are at least getting informal training before heading out again. That wouldn’t of happened if we’d all just given you weighting advise.

Best of luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom