amount of weight to use..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no i didnt go alone..wont go that route again.. when we went we only went uo to our shoulders that was it..

Don't you think that it is about time that you let mistakes go. Snuggle was a new diver and made a mistake. We all do it. Heck I have swallowed enough lake water to fill a fish tank and there isn't one of you out there who can say you haven't. He has come to a board of his peers to ask for constructive advice on weighting for his dry suite. He chose to test it with a partner (BRAVO, lesson learned) now let it rest.

I am going to say this knowing alot of you are going to disagree but its still something I believe.

ALot of diving is made out to be some dark art, espcially dry suits. I would not bother with the dry suit course. They tend to be expensive (at least they are here). Find someone you know that has a dry suit and is experienced with it. Sit down and ask them your questions, ask their advice and ask them to accompany you on your first few dry suit dives.

There are over 100 dry suit divers in my club and not one of them has done a dry suit course. This has not led to any incidents. Newbie drys uit divers are sent down with experienced dry suit divers and managed for the first few dives in amanner similar to a novice on their first few dives.

there are a number of drills you should be familiar with and the experienced dry suit diver should be able to run thrugh them with you.

buy him a pint after and save yourself a fortune.

i am not saying don't learn how to use the suit, just don't throw your money away on a course. Unless of course you don't know an experience dry suit diver.

spurtill once bubbled...
I am going to say this knowing alot of you are going to disagree but its still something I believe.

ALot of diving is made out to be some dark art, espcially dry suits. I would not bother with the dry suit course. They tend to be expensive (at least they are here). Find someone you know that has a dry suit and is experienced with it. Sit down and ask them your questions, ask their advice and ask them to accompany you on your first few dry suit dives.

There are over 100 dry suit divers in my club and not one of them has done a dry suit course. This has not led to any incidents. Newbie drys uit divers are sent down with experienced dry suit divers and managed for the first few dives in amanner similar to a novice on their first few dives.

there are a number of drills you should be familiar with and the experienced dry suit diver should be able to run thrugh them with you.

buy him a pint after and save yourself a fortune.

i am not saying don't learn how to use the suit, just don't throw your money away on a course. Unless of course you don't know an experience dry suit diver.

I don't get the impression Snuggle has access to such a person. He's already been fished out of the drink unconscience once during this dry suit adventure.

PS, be careful where you pick up experienced divers to learn from. Some have lots of experience doing things the wrong way and don't have the skill to help if you have trouble. Being able to dive and being able to teach and control a suituation aren't the same thing.
You don't need a class for everything and some don't need it for a dry suit. However in this case I think it's a good idea.

snuggle, sell one of those two dry suits and take a weekend trip someplace to meet up with some one who can get you going in that suit. Two suits that you can't use is less useful than one that you can.

spurtill, it sounds like much of the instruction/supervision you are describing one could easily have to pay for should you not know anyone (or anyone you would trust). At least with a drysuit course you should (presumably) have someone who not only knows how to use a drysuit properly but knows how to instruct and teach you as well.

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
Don't you think that it is about time that you let mistakes go. Snuggle was a new diver and made a mistake. We all do it. Heck I have swallowed enough lake water to fill a fish tank and there isn't one of you out there who can say you haven't. He has come to a board of his peers to ask for constructive advice on weighting for his dry suite. He chose to test it with a partner (BRAVO, lesson learned) now let it rest.

I brought up the previous incident because it appears Snuggle is once again heading down the same dangerous path; diving beyond training and ability. Some people learn from mistakes, some don’t.

I think that a drysuit course is the best option since as Mike pointed out an Instructor should know how to handle the situation when thinks go wrong. A mentor is another good solution. In any case drysuit training should start in the pool not in OW.

It’s nice you’re here to rescue Snuggle, hope you’re there to rescue him in the open water when he gets in trouble again.

Mike

P.S. I can honestly say I haven’t swallowed enough lake water to fill a fish tank. I prefer Gatorade.:D

MikeS once bubbled...

P.S. I can honestly say I haven’t swallowed enough lake water to fill a fish tank. I prefer Gatorade.:D

Me too. I like to save room for the after-dive beer.

well i see that mikeS is up to his same ol holier then though stuff again..i did learn from what happened thats why im asking questions about weight..i wont go alone thats for sure i just wanted some idea where to start as to weight..as for your notion im going down the same path well you can think what you will because like i told you sometime before i really dont care what you think,thats the bottom line..but wait ..you have never made a mistake right mike...well i heard from a very good source about an incident that you have..and mike ferrara i agree with you to take a course but since there isnt one till the spring a diver i know has offered to teach me in his indoor pool...like i said i wont go alone ever again..thats the bottom line..hey mikeS have a good evening..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom