AMF Mark Xfins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody have any experience with AMF Mark X fins or know any history?
Just picked up a pair at a garage sale. They have channels kind of similar to the SP Jets, modified enough I suspect to avoid patent infringement. They are a little lighter than Jets, but much stiffer. They have larger side rails and more pronounced intermediate rails.
Thanks for any info.

They were made and marketed by AMF Voit in mid to late 1970s.
They came in three models;
2F96, 2F96 and 2F98

The fin I think you described is the 2F97 or the 2F98. The 2F98 is the scalled down veresion of the fin. I would think the fin is question is the 2F97.'

It was commonly idenified as the 2F97 vented fin. It was as you mention in competition to the SP Jets but so was the 707s, the Imperials and the Aqualung Rockets. The main difference and the patentable feature of the Jets was the "overlapping thrust accerating vents" which are absent on the 2F97.

The fins were not popular, they were uncomfortable, provided minimal thrust from the kick cycle and never popular.

They have no romance as a collectiable or as a historical milestone

I certainly hope you got a bargin...

SDM

sam miller:
The main difference and the patentable feature of the Jets was the "overlapping thrust accerating vents" which are absent on the 2F97.

The fins were not popular, they were uncomfortable, provided minimal thrust from the kick cycle and never popular.

They have no romance as a collectiable or as a historical milestone

I certainly hope you got a bargin...

SDM
Thanks Sam.

You are correct, the big difference with the vents, is they don't overlap.

I guess I struck out on function and memorabilia. At least I did not by the second pair the guy was offering!
Paid $3.00.

Had a little S&W Chief's Special...no, not really.
Didn't think I could go wrong for 3 bucks. Figured I could get my daughter to make flower pots from them if I couldn't use them.

The MK IX and MK 10 were patterned after the Swimaster Duckfoot. The vented MK 10 fin came about in the early 1970's. There was a trend in the industry to match the hype over Jet Fins which were becoming very commercially successful. However, the performance of most of these fins did not come up to the JetFin because of the ratio of length to hardness of the materials. In other words, the performance of the Jet was not related to vents but to the specific length, width, taper and materials of the Jet. However, at the time, no matter what was offered, the customer wanted vents.

I think that your initial impression of these fins, that they are much stiffer than the Jet Fins, is because of the time factor since manufacture. In short, I think that the rubber has dried out and stiffened with age. Try some Armor All, or silicone grease, on them, and see if they don't regain some of their original flexibility. I have a 1973 AMF Swimaster catelog that shows the Mk IX in use, and they do bend significantly, and "cup" in the water a bit too, when new.

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff:
I think that your initial impression of these fins, that they are much stiffer than the Jet Fins, is because of the time factor since manufacture. In short, I think that the rubber has dried out and stiffened with age. Try some Armor All, or silicone grease, on them, and see if they don't regain some of their original flexibility. I have a 1973 AMF Swimaster catelog that shows the Mk IX in use, and they do bend significantly, and "cup" in the water a bit too, when new.

SeaRat
I will give the Armour all a try. It is the darndest thing. These fins are positively pristine. Not a scratch or blemish. I doubt they have seen sand or the bottom of a pool so I never thought to use anything on em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom