Americans have few friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this was an interesting article. apparently, most Americans are isolated socially:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/od_nm/life_friends_dc_1

i thought this was really interesting:

The data also show the social isolation trend mirrors other class divides: Non-whites and people with less education tend to have smaller social networks than white Americans and the highly educated.

That means that in daily life, personal emergencies and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina, those with the fewest resources also have the fewest personal friends to call for advice and assistance.

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said.

H2Andy:
this was an interesting article. apparently, most Americans are isolated socially:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/od_nm/life_friends_dc_1

i thought this was really interesting:

The data also show the social isolation trend mirrors other class divides: Non-whites and people with less education tend to have smaller social networks than white Americans and the highly educated.

That means that in daily life, personal emergencies and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina, those with the fewest resources also have the fewest personal friends to call for advice and assistance.

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said.

Thanks for that cheery news :confused:
At least I know I am not alone in my friendless state :D

Yes, it's sad but I'd say it's a global trend. I don't think this is an isolated problem of Americans.

Isolated is a good description. Our entertainment has become isolated, with everyone lost in their iPods and video games and computers. We've substituted emails for direct contact. We have become more self involved in everything, including relationships. We're interested only in what others can do for us, otherwise they're not worthy of our time. We've become less forgiving of others' faults, and expect perfection from everyone but ourselves. We usually jump to the assumption that others are morons, with bad intentions, unless they prove otherwise. And even then we're not quite sure. We love one another only if they meet our strict criteria. And very few do.

And I think it's a bit self-perpetuating. The more isolated we become, the easier it is to find reasons to stay isolated.

But think on the bright side. At least video games improve your motor skills. :D

DeputyDan:
It's Scuba boards fault - and others like it......

Whoa !! Don't you go blasphemin' 'round here !!! :11:

Scubaboard is what keeps us connected to all our dive buddies and our get togethers and stuff. Think of all the folks you've met in person and dove with just because of SB !! For me it's gotta be at least 40 or 50 folks I never would have met otherwise.

Or were you just kidding... :D

i am NOT lonely

gots eight cats ... er, nine as of next week

Andy is not lonely...just socially isolated.

And with 9 cats there ain't no way he is going to move in with me for 2 or 3 months...since my kitty is pretty territorial.

Back
Top Bottom