Americans have few friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, Thalassamania, maybe you're already aware of this but it should be ThalassOmania.

No, thalassomania is a desire to bay at Neptune’s second moon. Look that up in your Kraft-Ebbing<G>.

Actually, thalasa is Greek, mania can be late Latin or Greek, though the word mania finds it's way into modern English directly from mania (madness) in middle English. I had considered both spellings and felt that a was more euphonic than o.

OOOO, nice response!

Well, actually that's not the way we use it in modern Greek at least not in Cypriot Greek. Thalassomania = sea storm.

You're right about the euphonic part though; looks better too!

TSandM:
so I love the internet as a way to make connections that I can make solid enough BEFORE I have to see people face to face that I can stand the stress of doing so!

You doctors are a weird bunch. :D My dad was a GP and talked to patients with full confidence all day long. But outside the office he was shy and a bit insecure.
I"ve been on SB for two years and I don't feel like I really know anyone here. I don't think I feel that until I can look into their face and eyes. I only met RoatanMan as he was leaving cocoview and I was checking in.

Ah, a classicist who likely reads Greek far better than I use to. See ... come the hurricane you and your pets are welcome at our house, my son has yet to have the chance to truly grasp Homer.

I see the study results a completely different way than you guys. The article said it was a study conssiting of 1500 adults that had been ongoing since 1972... That's 30+ years...
Think about your own lives over the last 10 or 20 (or even 30 if yer old) and I bet most people would say that as they age, as their lives change, they lose some of their friends... but the friendships you keep only deepen with those same years.
When I was 20 I probably had a double dozen people I considered "friends" but now I am almost 40 and I have maybe 8 real friends... but I would trust those friends behind me in the woods with a loaded gun.

interesting ...

could certainly be a bias on the study

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom