Ambon Trip Report - Dive Into Ambon (28Apr2017 to 6May2017)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah by the way I'm envious of you seeing the psychedelic. I was diving in Ambon for a few days in Nov 2015 before a Ambon-Banda-Missol crossing trip hoping for the psychedelic to appear but no luck. I did get a good gander at the Banda Hammerheads though.

Then last fall the dang things showed up but I was already booked for Bali-Komodo and I didn't feel like changing last minute.
HMmm maybe I should go this November, I can't quite decide on where I should go.

Nice photos too!

I'll be there for 2 days before going on the crossing trip to Sorong in last 2 weeks of this coming November. Hopefully I'll see the psychedelic, schooling hammerheads in Banda sea & oceanic manta in Misool.

@Nameless Bear, thanks for the great trip report & pictures!

Ambon is where the connecting flight to Sorong is right ? is there awesome diving in Ambon ?

Ambon is where the connecting flight to Sorong is right ? is there awesome diving in Ambon ?

Ambon is usually a final destination. Flights to Sorong from Jakarta usually pass through Makassar. Some flights to Ambon may pass through Makassar.

Ambon is usually a final destination. Flights to Sorong from Jakarta usually pass through Makassar. Some flights to Ambon may pass through Makassar.
Not only : Ambon is Maluku's air hub, hence airlines connexions can be pretty easy from Ambon.
I've been from Jakarta to Sorong through Ambon connecting Lion Air with Wings air (only 1h connexion) and that was at the time (3 years ago) the cheapest way to go.

To answer previous poster : yes, there are amazing dives in/around Ambon.

"... DIA will be my first choice as it’s one of only two resorts, with the other being much more expensive and having a bad reputation...".

Why does the other have a 'bad reputation'?

Some less than savoury practices in regard to the Psychedelic. There's a thread on Reddit that isn't very difficult to find with more information..

I'll be there for 2 days before going on the crossing trip to Sorong in last 2 weeks of this coming November. Hopefully I'll see the psychedelic, schooling hammerheads in Banda sea & oceanic manta in Misool.

@Nameless Bear, thanks for the great trip report & pictures!

No problem at all, Dan! Hope you find the information useful!

Yes, there is some amazing diving in Ambon, and I highly recommend you check it out.

Really, amazing diving near Ambon ? to rival RA ? any reccommendations please ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom