Ambon or Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Having had to postpone a trip I am now heading to Raja Ampat in 2 weeks :) !!

On the advice of some helpful SBers I am now looking at including a side trip also. Having read many threads I've become a little intrigued about muck diving.

However as it's new to me, I'm not sure how much I will like it, but i want to find out! So I'm hoping to be able to include a little reef/coral diving also. Anyone know whether lembeh or ambon might be better to get a mix?

Many thanks,

MA

Been to both.

For a first timer, I would consider Lembeh, which is more "immediately rewarding" & has more density in terms of critters.
May is end of season for Ambon muck, the heavy rains are close and the water is too warm now, some of the interesting critters are looking for cooler tempature in the depths of the bay.

I think Ambon is better in terms of coral dives but you may find very good coral as well in Bangka area, which is very near to Lembeh. You should prefer an operator located north of Lembeh if you want to dive Bangka... and if you want a real mix of both then why not go to Bangka which has both muck and coral, you could then as well dive Lembeh on 3 dives day trips. :cool2:

I have been to both. I like Lembeh, because it has many divecentres/resorts that you can choose. Critters are abundant.
But I must say that I really really like Ambon. Did muck diving in Ambon, and it was fantastic. There was no other divers, in Lembeh there are many divers. The critters in Ambon are also many. I love night diving the "Twilight Zone".
Another thing that I like about Ambon, is that it' close to the airport. Lembeh is still around 90 minutes from Manado.
However, Lembeh can be dived the whole year, and Ambon is seasonal.
If I have to choose, I will go for Ambon. :D

Ambon, has more of a mix, and visibility for much of the "muck" diving is pretty decent. Lembeh is good, but mostly muck diving, and usually is just that, though the Strait further out tends toward more variability and clearer water. I love Lembeh, but it isn't for everyone.

Another thing that I like about Ambon, is that it' close to the airport. Lembeh is still around 90 minutes from Manado.
Not necessarily. If you're located in Latuhalat nearby to Blue Rose dive centre (which is also more convenient to dive south coral dives and not so difficult to get to Laha muck sites), it would take more than an hour to get to the airport.

However, Lembeh can be dived the whole year, and Ambon is seasonal.
...and that is exactly the poster's problem ! May is generally the month for the start of the heavy rains.

(Now if it was just me I'd pick Ambon over Lembeh anytime in the good months, like Kilili underlined the visibility is amazing for muck dives )

Thanks! Sounds like I want to go to am bon, but given the time of year, and me being new to muck diving, lembeh will be a better option this time. I assume I will be back, so I can make ambon then.

Looking into lembeh I am thinking two fish. Are they ok? I see kbr gets top reviews, but after raja, to stay on I need to consider cheaper options.

Cheers!

MA

I've been at two fish and KBR. For diving, I have not seen any major different - Opo of two fish is one of the most experience guide in Lembeh. For accommodation, they are not at the same class. Twofish is budget, basic accommodation, no A/C, no hot water, food is not bad for the price - my family has no complain staying there.
KBR has nice spacious room with A/C, hot water, beautiful garden, spa, excellent food, delicious cookies after morning diving, hot chocolate on night diving, clean warm towel at boat after every diving, even they will clean, dry and pack you gear on your last day - and that's not for free. Sure, my family love to stay there - but not my pocket.

Thanks wisnu. Mmmm hot chocolate, warm towels, cookies, I'm tempted!

But my sensible side is screaming two fish, I just needed to hear the dive op is good.

Cheers, wisnu. I was pleased you had said there was little difference in dive ops. Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom