Ambon in Indonesia or Dauin & Apo Island in the Philippines ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived both, Ambon once and Dauin and Apo three times. I found Ambon way better for diving. But Dauin is a lot cheaper, waaay cleaner, quieter and easier to get to and is also extremely good.

I have dived both, Ambon once and Dauin and Apo three times. I found Ambon way better for diving. But Dauin is a lot cheaper, waaay cleaner, quieter and easier to get to and is also extremely good.
Which one had the better food choices?

Which one had the better food choices?
I don't think you could setup a foodie tour in either place.
Problem is that in Ambon you will find good indonesian/Malukkan food (Smoked tuna, Kenari almond sauce, etc. and even excellent coffee & snacks at Joas ) downtown Kota Ambon, depending where you stay it can be a loooong way from your place. (Note that Ambon is one flight/ferry transfer from Banda islands, This is the best spot for culture and food in Indonesia IMO)
Some Dauin upmarket resorts will serve good food but westernized , otherwise I find that local Filipino fare is kind of bland, I would add some exceptions for Kinilaw (raw fish -preferably tangige/spanish mackerel- in ginger, chili and lime juice) BBQ'ed pork belly and... mango pancakes.

Personally I thought globally Ambon (3 trips in Ambon) has an edge on both macro (more diversity than Dauin) and coral dives outside the bay.
Kota Pintu/Hukurila caves are magnficent and if you can find an operation located south of the bay that goes out to Lease islands there are some really good blue water/coral reef dives.
That said everything is easier and more laid back in Dauin (4 trips in Dauin so far).

I boarded a Banda Sea liveaboard departing from Ambon last year. We did 2 dives in Ambon harbor and it is FILLED with trash. I was literally diving with dirty diapers and shoes in the water and the shores looked like a landfill. Were there lots of interesting critters in the water? Sure but I would never go back there unless I'm getting on a liveaboard that's quickly leaving.

After the last few years of diving into Indonesia for 2025, I'm still undecided.

Ambon in Indonesia or Dauin & Apo Island in the Philippines ?
Getting there is half the fun! To a certain extend I am afraid(my own experiences).
Dauin/Apo Island is pretty straight forward to get there. Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor is just a ferry away. And if you are feeling adventurous then Southern Leyte is great. Malapascua is relatively easy easy to get to.

I don't think you could setup a foodie tour in either place.
Problem is that in Ambon you will find good indonesian/Malukkan food (Smoked tuna, Kenari almond sauce, etc. and even excellent coffee & snacks at Joas ) downtown Kota Ambon, depending where you stay it can be a loooong way from your place. (Note that Ambon is one flight/ferry transfer from Banda islands, This is the best spot for culture and food in Indonesia IMO)
Some Dauin upmarket resorts will serve good food but westernized , otherwise I find that local Filipino fare is kind of bland, I would add some exceptions for Kinilaw (raw fish -preferably tangige/spanish mackerel- in ginger, chili and lime juice) BBQ'ed pork belly and... mango pancakes.

Personally I thought globally Ambon (3 trips in Ambon) has an edge on both macro (more diversity than Dauin) and coral dives outside the bay.
Kota Pintu/Hukurila caves are magnficent and if you can find an operation located south of the bay that goes out to Lease islands there are some really good blue water/coral reef dives.
That said everything is easier and more laid back in Dauin (4 trips in Dauin so far).
Please tell me more about the Banda Islands.
I have been thinking of going my last two or three trips, this time as I'm also here for the first two weeks of September I'm going to give it a go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom