Ambergris Caye OR Caye Caulker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

woah great info. im now booked for belize from dec10-29. i guess my plan would be to stay at Amber, Caulk and Placencia during this period.

will dive launches from Amber and Caulk end up covering the same areas?

which place would be the least pricey should i want to dive at the popular spots (lighthouse, blue hole etc)? or is there significant difference that i should plan my dives accordingly?

Caye Caulker is cheaper than San Pedro for some things, including atoll trips, but not necessarily for local diving. The diving off SP is better than off CC as well. In SP you can stay at Pedro's Backpacker's Inn for US$12:50/night, which I think is cheaper than anywhere on CC.

Ambergris is the way to go! I stayed there in 2003 and stayed at Banana Beach - you'll probably need to rent a golf cart to get around when you're there, also go dive with Amigos Del Mar... easily the best outfit on the island. I have a trip report of my time on Ambergris posted at:

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/articles.html

look for "daylon trip report" - have lots of pictures as well.

problem with that forum is that its pretty old. the posts there are not exactly recent.
looks like i may have to give Ambergris a miss or juz a day or 2 coz there isnt exactly any cheap lodgings. Even Pedro's Inn is charging 25usd a night so im kinda stucked. why isnt there a backpackers?!?!?!

That forum is actually incredibly active and your questions come up all the time. Search results are listed oldest to newest so if you did a search that resulted in dozens of hits you would have been looking at dates back into the 1990's; you have to hit "more matches" until you have the most recent list or restrict your search to "since 30 days ago" or "since 10 days ago". If you check again and don't find the answer to your question, ask away.

Most backpackers avoid Ambergris because it's where 90+% of the visitors to Belize head, therefore limited shoestring lodging, but I think there are a few and the Belize Forum might be your best bet for finding them.

Happy trails!

A correction to my earlier post. Pedro's does charge US$12:50 pppn but not over the Christmas/New Year fortnight. Then it's - well, it's complicated. Ask him if you need to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom