Ambergis Cay diving in one week!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dub Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
We are going to be going diving in Ambergis Cay for a week starting next Saturday. We will be staying at Banyon Bay and we already are set up to do some dives with the the dive shop there Bottom Time ( my girlfriends father booked it and payed for it ahead of time I wanted to go with Protech but we were unable to change it, we might schedule a few more dives with Protech when we get there). I have a couple of questions: I am not sure which wetsuit to bring my full 4.3 or a shorty 3mil? Also if anyone has any reccomendations for specific sites to dive at please let me know, I really want to do a night dive there as well so if there are any great night spots please tell me. Thanks for all the help!

All you will need is your 3 mil, as for the night dive, most dive centers use Hol Chan the marine park. it is a nice 30' dive with a lot to see. Don't feel bad Bottom Time is a good dive center as well. ask for Rudy he is one of the best DM's on the island.
Safe diving

Hi Dub Diver
Steve is right - Bottom Time is one of the good dive centers. In fact they're the oldest dive business here still in operation. And I agree about Rudi. SO, we'd love to see you of course, but you'll have a great time with BT.

Most night dives are in the Hol Chan channel, but if conditions are calm and we have experienced night divers we like to go to regular dive sites outside the reef. A very different experience from Hol Chan, though both are equally valid.

I didn't enjoy the night dive at Hol Chan--current in and out and at night we got tossed around a great deal. That said, I just love diving Belize and will be down in May for around 2 weeks. We stay at The Tides and dive with Patojos, which is a really nice small dive op that has been around forever.

best,

Dave

I doubt whether you'd experience current in AND out on the same dive in Hol Chan. The channel was created by tidal movement and this still happens twice a day in and twice a day out. A strong current in either direction doesn't make for a fun dive, but if it's outwards it's best to abort the dive, as there's a significant risk of being sucked outside the reef. A gentle to moderate current in either direction is just one of the facts of life. Not an issue with night dives outside the reef, of course.

And yes, Patojo's is a smallish low key operation that's very well run and very popular with its clients. When Protech had a boat problem shortly after we opened four years ago Patojo was easily the most helpful local operator to us, even though we were newcomers and competitors. Many of his guests also stay with him in the Tides hotel. Patojo is brother to Changa, the owner of Amigos del Mar.

Back
Top Bottom