Amazing Maui Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, New to the forum but just wanted to let ya'll know about an amazing shore dive my sister and I did with Doug Corbin of Shaka Divers in Maui. We were cruising on the NCL Pride of America for our first trip to the Hawaii Islands and arranged the morning shore dive online through http://www.shakadivers.com. January 16, 2007 we met Doug and his 'Scuba Bus' in Lihue then followed him to Makena Landing. My sister and I are both certified but don't get to dive very often, so it was great to have Doug with all his equipment and expertise AND as luck would have it we were the only two with him that morning.
The dive was fantastic, easy entry, great coral, some eels, some fish, a few turtles and then there are a couple of small caves off of Makena. In one we saw a couple of Reef Sharks hanging out under the ledges and not wanting to have much to do with us. In the other cave though, there was a once in a lifetime find! A Hawaiian Monk Seal!!! An endangered species, she was about 5 ft maybe 200 lbs and just hanging in the cave. We just kinda laid low in the entrance to the cave and relaxed to watch her. She was catching breaths of air from the top of the cave and then squeezing under a ledge to relax and scratch her belly on the rocks. Well after a few minutes of us just laying on the bottom not moving, she decided to say HI! She spent the next 5-10 minutes nuzzling my face plate, rubbing in my hair and generally being extremely loving!!! It was INCREDIBLE, I just remained calm and didn't move except for my head to kinda play with her like a big pussy cat wanting some loving'. Eventually she went back up for air and then decided to relax back under her ledge.
Best of all we have it all on camera and video!!! Part of our deal with Doug was a free photo cd for booking online, so he had his camera for the whole dive. My sister and I have some amazing memories now permanently recorded and the photo cd was waiting in my mailbox when I got home less then a week later. I'll try and post a pic or two here.
Thanks Doug, you rock!!! Looking for a shore dive in Maui, follow the scuba bus blowing bubbles down the road!

Attachments

• 2050.jpg
    2050.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 76
  • 2031.jpg
    2031.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 60
Glad you had such a great time with Doug - KrisB and I got a great view of the monk seal a couple weeks back - what a treat to dive with such a beautiful creature.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Glad you had such a great time with Doug - KrisB and I got a great view of the monk seal a couple weeks back - what a treat to dive with such a beautiful creature.

Aloha, Tim
Looking back at the logbook, it looks like they were there the day before us... I haven't heard of any sightings recently, so I guess "Lucille" has moved on. :(

Glad you were able to work something out -- if you read this, Doug, can we suggest this to anyone on a cruise wanting to dive? I haven't heard of any other local ops that are able/willing to do pickups *and* schedule a dive for a little later in the morning...

justleesa:
lucky!!! :D...double lucky because I have heard that some Monk Seals are not so loving :wink:
I guess that depends on what type of "loving" you're looking for... :)

Rumour has it, there's one around here that earned the nickname "Humpy"... :D

Welcome to the 'board Don. Thanks for talking about our dive. It truly was fantastic! It just proves to me that there's no such thing as "Same Ol', Same Ol'" when it comes to diving Hawaii. I've dove Makena Landing more than 1,000 times and I still have new and amazing experiences there. "Thank You" for giving me a reason to get in the water that morning. Now we both have once in a lifetime experiences that we'll never forget. I must say, I am a bit jealous of you....it only took you and your sister 1 dive....I've been trying for that for almost 9 years now!!!

I did make a second dive there that afternoon and saw the seal again. To top it off, she wasn't alone. There was also a white tip reef shark and a large sea turtle sharing the cave with her!!

She was curious about us and seemed like she really wanted to have her belly scratched. It was very hard to resist touching her but we left her alone and just watched what she did. She swam up to us and all around inside the bubble cave. I captured some great images from that dive too. It really was a treat and my guests enjoyed it immensely.

Did you happen to make any other dives during the cruise? If so, how did they go?

Keep an eye on our Ohana and you'll be able to stay current on the Maui dive situation. There's lots of chatter about it right here. See you on your next visit to Maui, Don...I mean, how can you NOT come back???

Never surprises me when people rave on about diving with Doug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom