Amazing Footage.............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there the day that happened. Nahoon Reef is a very popular surfing spot and there were alot of us out that day. I used to see a lot of sharks there, mostly raggies though.

Yikes!!!! I think I'll stick to Scuba Diving!

Very cool footage. Reminds me of the Orcas that surf into shore to grab seals...

What exactly is the appeal of surfers over divers? I have heard about a lot of surfers getting attacked but I have hardly heard of divers getting attacked.

This is all speculation cause I don't know much about this (except what I've seen in those documentaries) but I bet the fast movement of the surfer attracted those sharks in that footage. Probably resembled a seal swimming through the surf to them. Same thing when the surfers are paddling out I would expect - looks like a seal on the surface. Attacking from below I would think gives the element of surprise for the shark - I'm sure its just hunting instinct to do it that way. Most of the time divers are in the water is at depth - not quite as attractive a target. But that silohuette(sp?) against the surface must be tempting.

IMHO the "Attack" is really a hunt for seals. Two Great Whites could have made short work of the diver. The fact that they didn't speaks for itself.

Saw on a show the other day about Great Whites that someone on a surfboard paddeling out looks a lot like a seal or sealion. They said there were fewer attacks years ago when boards were longer and narrower. Now that they are shorter and wider they probably look more like what a shark is looking for.

Joe

Agree Bigsage. How often does a great white strike and wound a seal and then swim away? Not very often I bet. But biting into a surfboard/human must register to their senses as something quite different than a seal (which they've been eating all their lives). I bet they are pretty confused at that point. Maybe they have a hunting technique that lets the prey bleed for a while which would give someone time to get away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom