amature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. I'd like to take some pics on my next dive but don't want to seriously invest in equipment. Are there any disposable cameras that take semi good underwater pics?? What would be the maximum depth, depending on visibility, that a good picture can be taken with a disposible?

There are different ones out there. If you're going on a deep dive make sure you have one that goes that deep. We have had many people on the boat with one way UW cameras and they have to take a picture, go up several feet, advance the film because the pressure won't let you do it at greater depths. Also make sure you get one with a flash. I know of a good one, goes up to 95', but can't think of the brand right now. I'll check it out and let you know. The cool thing about it is that you can open it, take the film out, put a new one in and that works a couple'a times

justleesa:
There are different ones out there. If you're going on a deep dive make sure you have one that goes that deep. We have had many people on the boat with one way UW cameras and they have to take a picture, go up several feet, advance the film because the pressure won't let you do it at greater depths. Also make sure you get one with a flash. I know of a good one, goes up to 95', but can't think of the brand right now. I'll check it out and let you know. The cool thing about it is that you can open it, take the film out, put a new one in and that works a couple'a times

Thankyou for your response, because I wasn't sure if a disposible would take a good enough picture to be worth the while. By the way, the shipwreck I'm particularly intersted in taking pics of sits at 100ft with most of the accesible parts above that depth and thanks to the zebra muscles, the visibility is prety good.

I have a Suprema Super Sport that was supposed to go to 100'. I have also seen them advertised to go to 125'. My camera only worked down to 40' - not near what they claimed. The distance to focus is also a problem. The closest it would focus is about 3'. You won't be getting any close shots with this camera. This was just an inexpensive ($40) camera that wet my appetite for more picture taking. I hope you find one that's better, I can't recommend this one at all.

It would be worth the money to shoot a test roll with a disposable of your choice prior to your trip. Find a static object and shoot it from several known distances recording your sequence as you go. You'll have a better understanding of how close you will need to be with that camera. If you are new to photography you'll be amazed at how close you really need to be for a good shot even with decent viz.

As for a camera recommendation, I would go to a trusted dive shop and ask.

Brian

Heres some fairly retarted pictures by one of the Kodak UW disposables... They are pretty crummy, and these are the good ones... Useless under 25-30' unless you are right ontop the subject.

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album11

Ikelite makes a UW camera housing for disposables. I believe the rig costs $150ish. I've seen some pics that were pretty nifty from those. I believe its called a PowerShot or a SureShot?

The Snap SIghts 28m Sports Flash camera is fantastic, we have a guy who has reloaded his 70 times, each camera is pressure tested in the factory. The photos are really good, they are just bring out a flash diffuser and colour correction filter kit that snaps on the front of the housing. www.snapsights.com and send them an enquiry on where your nearest shop is.

Back
Top Bottom