Amami Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There is nothing current about the islands north of Okinawa so I would like to ask if someone has comments on where is the best diving in the Amami area or somewhere north of Yoron Island. I would like to take a small group of divers there in mid August and hopefully we can go by ferry there from Okinawa Jima.

thanks
tarzana

Hi, tarzana

There are two diving areas in Amami north and south ones. Ohshima kaikyo(channel) in south is stable rather than north because of it's location. Underwater scene is similar to Okinawa ; white sand ,tropic marine lives, clear and warm water. It takes 1 to 1.5 hour from Nase port to Setouchi-cho so you should ask a dive shop to pick you up at the port.
Ferry is available everyday with all major Islands from Okinawa to Kagoshima.
You need basic Japanese to plan the tour.

Hope you enjoy Japanese U/W.

thank you nori,,,, I speak very little Japanese but I am going to give it a whirl anyway!

So have you been diving in the channel in the south? What kind of sea life are you likely to see in August in the Southern area? Are the currents tricky there at that time of year?

I got some info today about a hotel called Marine Station in Koniya. Have you heard of it? If not. can you recommend a place to stay?

Do the busses run at night to the southern areas?

thanks
tarzana

I have dove the channel but not dive in August so please refer to following URL for marine life which is the hotel's u/w pics.

??????-?????????????????????????

The currents were very weak in my personal experience. I have no info about the hotel but it is a resort hotel according to hotel web so I think prices are higher than Minshuku or business hotels but accommodations seem to be good.

Buses are unavailable at night and access is bad as indicated below url. You should book hotels nearby Koniya downtown.

¥¢¥¯¥»¥¹-¥Þ¥ê¥ó¥¹¥Æ¡¼¥·¥ç¥ó±âÈþ¡Ú±âÈþÂçÅç¤Î¥À¥¤¥Ó¥ó¥°¡¦¥ê¥¾¡¼¥È¥Û¥Æ¥ë¡Û

I usually reserve diving services first then ask the service to book appropriate hotels in place of me.
Note: I think there is no English speaking staffs.
Do you have a plan to take hotel and diving package?

I have a travel agency working on a hotel and dive package. What I need now are recommendations for a good minchiku or a safe dive operation that would have a guide who could speak English. That was a great link for the sea life there. Will pass it onto prospective divers for the trip. Cool zebra moray eel. I have never seen one in a photo or in the sea! Thanks for sharing.

I used Native Sea when I went to Amami-Oshima about 2 years back. They were standard japanese style, but did allow self diving from the beach (ie on your own, no guide) - no idea about their english ability however.
‰‚”ü‘哇ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOAƒzƒeƒ‹AƒŒƒXƒgƒ‰ƒ“yƒlƒCƒeƒBƒuƒV[‰‚”üz‘ÌŒ±ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOAƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOƒ‰ƒCƒZƒ“ƒXƒR[ƒX‚È‚Ç‚ðs‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚Ü‚·

I checked out the site but there is no English so I cannot read it...What part of or town in Amami is this palace located?

Domo
chrisse

I checked out the site but there is no English so I cannot read it...What part of or town in Amami is this palace located?

Domo
chrisse

I punched in the address into google maps (I love google maps) that should give you an idea. Its halfway between the airport and amami town. You can also use googlemaps for any other places you find. you don't need to read the japanese, just cut n past the address.
Best O luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom