Am in Coz now, had my Dive Op cancel due to lack of bookings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like a GREAT time to go to Cozumel! Wish I could!

just thinking the same thing...wishing funds and vacation time were more available...

...would be a great time for a Thundering Hurd mini-reunion :d

r.l., hope you're wet soon!!!

If you want an answer to your question, email Opal at Scubamaucozumel.com and she will get you out. She has boats going out every day. She will cater to you and your dive skills. You will enjoy the time with them for sure.
What scares the dive ops that get their diver other ops to use is worry they loose their client to the new op they use. That can happen I suppose.

With Tonys great service and reputation, I do no think he is threatened referring his customers to other dive OPs. I use a small OP myself and when she does not have a boat going out she gets me on a similar OPs boat that provides a similar quality of service. No one has tried to "steal" me away. I appreciate the great customer service and care that is provided to me. Most dive OPs have a great respect for each other and their respective clients.

If you want an answer to your question, email Opal at Scubamaucozumel.com and she will get you out.

Or contact Jeanie at Blue Angel.

Or contact Christi at BlueXTSea

Or contact Dave at Aldora.

Or contact Dive with Martin.

Or...

There is no shortage of great dive ops on Cozumel. You won't have any trouble getting out on a dive boat.

Just for the record: If you have a reservation with Aldora we will take you out if it is just one person--never a complaint about it either.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS We have done that plenty of times and our customers appreciate it. That is just part of our overhead.

Just for the record: If you have a reservation with Aldora we will take you out if it is just one person--never a complaint about it either.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS We have done that plenty of times and our customers appreciate it. That is just part of our overhead.

While I don't know any of the dive OPs in Cozumel, I do know a thing or two about the services business and if you accept a reservation you just made a commitment to a customer. Sorry but not having enough people show up to cover costs is just the risk of running a services business. I have to agree with Aldora's policy if only one shows up then you take that person out. I would be pretty disappointed if after spending a couple of grand on airfare and hotel someone who I made an agreement with for a service decided to change my plans. No matter how much effort they spent trying to set me up with someone else. I picked that OP based on a set of criteria that was important to me, if I would have wanted a different OP then I would have chose them in the first place right?

This is just my opinion and at the end of the day we are all limited by what we are willing to tolerate as customers.

While I don't know any of the dive OPs in Cozumel, I do know a thing or two about the services business and if you accept a reservation you just made a commitment to a customer. Sorry but not having enough people show up to cover costs is just the risk of running a services business. I have to agree with Aldora's policy if only one shows up then you take that person out. I would be pretty disappointed if after spending a couple of grand on airfare and hotel someone who I made an agreement with for a service decided to change my plans. No matter how much effort they spent trying to set me up with someone else. I picked that OP based on a set of criteria that was important to me, if I would have wanted a different OP then I would have chose them in the first place right?

This is just my opinion and at the end of the day we are all limited by what we are willing to tolerate as customers.

+1 agreed

I flew from Alberta to dive the wrecks at Tobermory Ontatrio. I drove two and a half hours to the dive shop. When I got there(I phone them before leaving too) they told me that they had only me that morning so they would not be putting the boat out. I almost lost my religion on him. No apology, just a go down the street maybe they are going out. This dive shop came highly recommended on the Ontario forum on Scubaboard. This guy deserved a slap in the mouth as far as my attitude at the time felt. Any business should shut their doors down if they dont honor a reservation. As Dave wrote 'we eat the loss, cause it doesnt happen often.' This is Opals' business model at Scubamau also. She honors her word.
I could give a rats patoot if you like someone as a dive operator, but if he makes a reservation he better honor it or he should not be operating on the whim of getting customers by chance. I could care less if it's Tony, Dave, Christi or Opal if you make the reservation and only one shows up do the deal. UNLESS you stipulate that you only run a boat with a minimum of divers. That is acceptable. One dive day lost is very costly to a vacationer.
I was very fortunate that the dive shop I walked into at Tobermory got me out. And it was not with their boat, they where full. They got me out with another op and I got my dives in. Not what I wanted but not a total loss. I will got back and I will not use that other shop for sure. I have sent several friends to the shop I used as a result of the referral. I also recommend the shop I didnt use.
And Judy I know of dive ops that are threatened by referring their customers, so I am not sure if your remark is condescending or your trying to be rude. Every dive op does not like to give their customers over to someone else. That's the way business is.

UNLESS you stipulate that you only run a boat with a minimum of divers.

And Judy I know of dive ops that are threatened by referring their customers, so I am not sure if your remark is condescending or your trying to be rude. Every dive op does not like to give their customers over to someone else. That's the way business is.

Well, at least I can agree with you on the first point above (although I don't think it needs to be that specific. Many ops lay out all kinds of conditions if the divers cancel. It's only fair that the op lay out the outcomes if he/she cancels - for whatever reason.

But I know from first hand experience that many, many of the smaller (valet) ops referenced on this board over and over again will refer customers to another op that offers a similar experience. Back and forth. What goes around, comes around. If the referred op goes out of its way to "keep" the customer, they stop getting referrals. Ethics are ethics. In the case of long-time customers (who are the bread and butter of most Coz ops), it's unlikely they will switch. In the case of the first-time diver to the island who may not be back again for several years (if ever), well that's a crap shoot. They probably threw a dart at a dartboard anyway when picking their op.

I have to disagree with you about me being condescending, rude or misinformed. Small, personal service, valet type dive operations are very good at building customer loyalty. They have many years of repeat customers. They do it by providing great service and personal attention. The loyalty they build is not driven by price or fear. Most only have 1 or 2 boats. It is not unusual for one of the smaller companies to refer their customer to other similar ops, I have been there and done that when I have been to Cozumel solo. I was happy to dive and that my op put me on a competitors boat that did not disappoint. She was not concerned that I would be "lost" to the other dive op and the other dive op was not out to "steal" me away. Cozumel is a very social island and many of the smaller dive shop owners are not only competitors but close friends. They respect each other and all wish nothing but success for each other.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom