Am I Stuck Forever at 40 Feet???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I actually have been WAITING until I feel pressure or pain, then I equalize. Sounds like we may have come up with my real problem. OK...So, in addition to all those other great ideas, I need to be equalizing every couple feet REGARDLESS of whether there's pressure or pain...OK...Thanks to all who recognized this shortcoming!:snorkels:

This is the problem 99%. If you're waiting to equalize, especially to the point of pain, you causing minor barotrauma to your ears and they are responding with inflammation causing your congestion. Try the early and often and see what happens. Equalize with every exhalation on your descent and you might not ever have another issue.

Of course, if things persist, see a diving Doc.

Good luck with this.

Blow in the bag diver, you smell like a wino
I swear occifer I was tipping the alcohol in my ears

All good advice here. Seeing a doc, etc...Have you tried a product like Ear Shield to keep the water moving out of your ears? A lot of people start having at least a small "ear issue" on subsequent dives because there is water/air getting trapped in the ear canal on the surface interval and/or the water in the ear is aggravating something in the ear canal and causing inflammation, etc. My wife and I started using Ear Shield out of convenience. Neither of us have had ear issues, it just seemed like a good idea on a recent liveaboard trip to try to prevent water in the ears and an eventual problem diving so much. My ears have never been drier or more comfortable! Maybe it'll work for ya! Good luck!

I just wanted to comment that since the OP suggested cave diving is in his future, and the fact that he is having equalizing problems now suggests that ear hygene, especially in Mexican caves where the flow of water is very slow, allows bacteria to accumulate is super important. Everyone has their favorite "ear beer" recipe. I add mineral oil to my concoction to prevent dryness caused by the alcohol. I would also like to add that clearing ears gets easier during a dive trip as long as I can avoid infections. I'm sure we've all had some kind of ear issue in our diving endeavours.

I think this thread needs some help from @doctormike.

I think this thread needs some help from @doctormike.

I don't really have time to sift through all of the posts right now, especially since the predictable confusion between middle and outer ear problems has surfaced. But reading the OP, it looks like there is a problem equalizing.

Here is my page on ear problems in diving, and here is the page that I recommend for improving equalization technique (these situations typically turn out to be technique rather than anatomy). Medical management (decongestants, etc..) aren't a great fix for the underlying issue.

If all that fails, some divers have had luck with Eustachian tube dilation procedures.

OP, please free to DM me if you want to chat more, or I may be able to give you a local referral...

would you like to clarify this statement pls ?

What I ment is I have seen some divers once at their average dive depth of that dive go up and down -/+ a couple of feet while looking at stuff and they assume once they are down initially they dont need to equalizing any more witch is false. Equalize often, even before you may feel any pressure. Sometimes I equalize even if I go up some and then go back down later. I find this makes it easier to equalize and less stressful on my ears that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom