Am I Retarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are no different from any other student I've worked with, most people have difficulty with one or more skills, just relax and slow down....you may want to go to your next pool session a little early and discuss this with your instructor......

good luck!

mike

ps is there room for my wife and I in your luggage??

In an attempt to work on this skill i headed to the lake on friday. I finally figured out that in order to ONLY breathe in through your mouth you must actually think that you are sucking in through your mouth. I was amazed after this revelation how much easier it was for me to breathe only in through my mouth under water. I still have a ways to go before breathing exclusively out of my nose becomes habit but I think I made leaps and bounds with it this weekend.
The other thing I realized this weekend was that you have to accept the fact that you can always breathe through your mouth. Subconsciously its hard to trust that you can breathe through your mouth when clearing with water all around your nose you cannot breathe through your nose.
Thanks again everyone..every little bit of advice really does help!
Unfortuntately I can't score any extra pool time, the pool is a rented facility, and the icy waters of a lake flooding your mask really do more harm than good...I want to master it before I have to deal with that kind of torture/
:mean:

See! We all knew you could do it. I really hated that skill myself. I learned earlier today to get over it. My mask, even with defogging it before my dive, kept fogging up on me today while I was diving at the lake. My solution? Flood it, shke my head around and clear it. Worked WONDERS! (Even though I had to keep doing it every few minutes.) I will admit, I was VERY aware of where everyone's fins were though,as I did NOT want my mask kicked off of my face.

Good luck with the rest of your class!

Kristey:)

Keep up the good work. Perserverence counts for more than you can know.

This was certainly my wife's biggest problem. Like you she naturally breathed through her nose. It took her some time to perfect this skill but she managed it and she most certainly is not retarded! Keep going and best of luck!

Regards

I hate the mask clearing too.

I found that if I do not look up while clearing, water is more prone to go up my nose and choke me.

I've practiced it a bunch, even after class in the pool, because I hate it. I've gotten to the point that now, I either rip it off my face or have my buddy rip it off, and then put it back on and clear it.

Let's face it, if your mask gets taken off under water, chances are it's not going to be as controlled as it is while you're training! Make it realistic, when you get used to doing it! And relax!
:bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom