Am I Retarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtdivegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished my first class, we spent a good two hours in the water and all was wonderful until MASK CLEARING! Oy veh! I seem to have some problems breathing through my nose and pulling the mask too damn far from my face. Am I the only person with this kind of trauma? Let me just say, sucking water through your nose into your throat and gagging just isnt doing it for me. My next class is tomorrow night and I am a little nervous. I have to pass this skill..i was the only little loser singled out, even though afew other people in my class can't really do it either. Any suggestions? Advice, wake up calls, buckup commentary always welcomed!:confused:

MT, I suspect that if you did a poll, mask clearing/removal might rank right up there with "most hated dive skills." Nasty, but necessary. You might want to do a search and see how much loathing has already been expressed - and there are some good tips, too.

Once upon a time this skill was a problem for me as well. I think it has something to do with women being nose breathers, while men seem to be more inclined to be mouth breathers. Ok... no wise cracks! Guys SNORE, right?! :froggy:

Partial mask flood & clear:

1) put a finger in the top of your mask to crack the seal & let a little water trickle in. Relax. Keep breathing through your MOUTH. If you have contacts or if you find it disconcerting to try to "look through" the water, close your eyes.

2) Tilt your head back so you are "looking" up. This gathers the water all to the bottom of your mask.

3) Put the palm of your hand on the top of the mask as you are looking up.

3) EXHALE through your nose. The water will be forced out through the mask skirt. You do not have to pull the mask away from your face at all.

Remember: breathe IN through your MOUTH; OUT through your nose when clearing the mask.

Eventually this will be no problem for you. AAMOF I find partially flooding/clearing my mask helpful if my mask gets foggy during a diver & I want to clear the fog away.

Don't worry.. you'll get the hang of it! :)

Take care,

~SubMariner~

Put a snorkel in your mouth with no mask on your face. Place your face into water wearing only the snorkel. You don’t need a pool, you can use a bathtub, a sink, a bucket whatever will hold enough water to cover your face. Relax and practice breathing through the snorkel. Doing this with out a mask on your face should help you learn not to inhale through your nose. If it don’t, you’ll have a really clean nose.

………….Arduous

Originally posted by mtdivegirl
I seem to have some problems breathing through my nose and pulling the mask too damn far from my face.

Perhaps your not describing what's happening accurately, but lets go on the assumption that the above is correct.

First, don't pull your mask from your face. When you flood it for the skill, just "pop" the seal with your finger so it floods. Now when clearing, don't actually grab the mask, just put pressure on the top seal with your fingers [to hold the top of the mask to your face] and breath out your nose while tipping your head back.

If you lift the mask from your face you'll have to compete against the water coming in... let your exhale control how much the mask comes away from your face. Just remember to push the mask back against your face as you stop your exhale to create a new seal.

As mentioned in other threads... practice is best. If you have a deep enough tub [or are flexible enough with your neck] practice practice practice. Otherwise it'll have to wait until class, but if you get there a little early your instructor might let you in the pool early so you can practice...

you all are always so great for help. Its warm here today I think I might head up to the lake and practice a bit tonight.
Relax seems to be the key...i guess i should work on this..

here's our story:

My wife could not clear her mask. She could flood the mask and sit there all day. She just could not blow out her nose. She tried the lowest volume mask they had in the shop and still no go.

2 pool sessions and same problem.

We went to the public pool and she put on her mask and snorkel. She sat in the shallow end and i pushed down on her shoulders to hold her under (with the snorkel still out of the water :) ) Then she sat there with her mask flooded and kept trying to clear... take a breath from the snorkel and blow out nose. First night was no go... she say's she drank some of the pool. Second night... after about 15 minutes ... voila, she got it. She said just taking her time and relaxing was the biggest thing to "get it".

the best thing about this method is that you are sitting, so your face/mask is in the best position for clearing.

like a previous post.... take the palms of your hands and press them lightly against the top of the mask... pressing into your forehead. then blow out your nose... slow and steady works best for me... but you can try snorting out your nose to see what works best. You can 'help' by pulling lightly at the bottom of the mask with one hand while holding the top with the other.

that was passed on to me by some great people. It goes something like this;

Look at your toes and
gently blow your nose
when your eyes reach the sky
your mask will be dry.

Instructions to use with the poem are to look down slightly as this will prevent water from flowing back through your nose to your throat. Press gently on the top of the mask and then gently & slowly blow through your nose while tilting your face skyward.

I've seen that "poem" before and I don't care for it. You need to look up, not at your toes.

While I disagree with the nose vs mouth breathers statement, you should listen to what Submariner says. She detailed exactly what you need to do to clear your mask.

One point she left out, it is a common mistake for students to think they are exhaling through their nose when they are actually exhaling through their mouth. Be aware of the possibility.

I had a problem with mask clearing as well, so I cheated. Yes, I bought a mask with self-purge valve and I've never been happier. Mine is the TUSA Hyperdry Imprex. I did alll my OW training dives wearing that mask and all my subsequent dives, and all I can say is, mask clearing is no longer a problem for me.

Just another option.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom