Am I mad to try to go from virtually no dive experience to divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps a better analogy might be, the 16 YO takes an accelerated driving class with the minimum amount of Behind the Wheel training necessary. Then said driver immediately assumes a leadership role teaching others how to drive.
That, indeed, is a much better analogy :)

^Not bad, started in July, got AOW in Nov, taking my time.

But as stated before, DM is just a name.. being any type of diver (except for the obvious) requires expirience.

started diving in August of 08' already at DM level, so it is possible, anything is if you put your mind, judgment, and skills to the test.

Quite frankly this is exactly what is wrong with the conventional training paradigm. I am not a DM, but I have almost 1,000 dives including trimix to 200ft and full cave. There is no way a <50 dive diver is qualified to lead anyone anywhere no matter how new the diver nor basic the site. At some point around a couple hundred dives you'll figure out a bunch that you don't know. And that nobodies a master of anything.

I took my DM after my advanced course. I only had about 50 dives. I don't think I would have been able to have really helped another diver until I had almost a 100 hours. I am now an Instructor and love it. Many other posts have suggested doing the DIR fundamentals. I strongly encourage that. If you are not going to use the DM to earn money or work or anyone then the DM card is just that a card, so if you get it or not shouldn't really matter. You will know when you are good enough to be able to be responsible for other divers. Good luck. It looks like you have gotten the diving fever

started diving in August of 08' already at DM level, so it is possible, anything is if you put your mind, judgment, and skills to the test.
Hope you update your logged dives profile it shows less than 50. I thought you had to have fifty dives o get the DM rating

I've been reading all these replies and must say there's some good advice/input.I got my OW a few yrs ago and wanted to take some more classes after,unfortunately blew 4 discs and a cpl operations later,yrs have passed since my last dive.I'm gonna change all that and continue diving this yr. and eventually get more certs.Myself I wouldn't want to cram all that learning into such a short time, spending all that money just for a card with a title on it and walking away really knowing nothing.Exp. is everything in anything you do, and experience takes time to achieve.I'ld say get your OW and dive, dive,dive,then dive some more.Learn from all your dives and the people you dive with, and then move up the cert. ladder if that's what you so choose to do.

I would like to thank everyone for replying to my question on my madness.
I felt everyone&#8217;s reply had advice in some form or other.
Prior to me posting my question on this forum I was under no illusion that just because I might gain a dive master certification that meant I was going to be a master diver. There is no way I would consider leading out other divers until I had the experience of several hundred dives. I would treat other divers the same way I&#8217;d wish to be treated i.e. I&#8217;d prefer to be lead out by an experienced diver rather than a novice. I wouldn&#8217;t take the chance with other people&#8217;s lives.
Anyway, I doubt if I would ever use the certification in a professional capacity. I see it as a goal I&#8217;d like to reach personally. Also what Mattboy said is true to some extent about a couple of months in the Caribbean for less than two grand. I also looked into going the recreational route as a master scuba diver but this would be about the same price but for only two and a half weeks. If I was to do any diving courses here at home in Ireland it would cost me considerably a lot more. I know, that&#8217;s sad for small country surrounded by water.
Again I would like to thank everyone for their advice and please send on any more pearls of diving wisdom as they would be greatly appreciated

I've often heard people say they want to become a DM because it's part of the progression. My response is always that unless you want to work in diving don't do it. Do an intro-tech course instead. Whether that's DIR or non isn't important, whether it's open ocean or cave is rather more significant. Do something that will stretch you as a diver and teach you new and better techniques. DM won't do that at all.

But how many dives do you have? Your profile says none, which I suspect isn't true. You have wonderful diving available off the west coast of Ireland - just go and DIVE and don't worry about getting more bits of plastic for a long time. Join an active dive club where you can learn from your peers. That's what I did when I was starting out, and I have no regrets (on that, at any rate!).

As to DM, I had 700 dives before I even contemplated becoming a DM, and then took over a year doing it. Some of those dives were off Valencia Island, and they were gorgeous!

The quicker you do it the less rewarding you'll find it.

In my personal and professional opinion, yes.

the K

Back
Top Bottom