am i being too eager??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelw

Registered
Reaction score
Stupid newbie question...

I'm starting my OW class next week, and when i went to get all the basic equipment (fins, boots, gloves, mask snorkle) i also got a wetsuit. I felt pretty comfortable with what i got ( I got the o'niell Avalon after doing a lot of research) and i tried it on. it felt good and was really snug in all the right places.

Well, sum it up to say that i'm REALLY anxious to actually get into the water, so today while i was sitting at home being bored, i decided to try the suit on again. It was a pain to get on the first time, and the guy said it would get easier with practice and as the neoprene stretched to my size. Today it was A LOT easier to get the suit on and off.

I'm wondering if I'm being too eager and possibly damaging the suit? also, is there a way the suit could be "over stretched" to where it becomes too big for me? Really don't want to screw up a suit i just bought before i ever get it wet.

I doubt you could overstretch a neoprene wetsuit - otherwise they wouldn't last very long at all. They do get easier to get in and out of though with practice, and wear.

Who are you doing your OW class with?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Who are you doing your OW class with?

Dive-N-Board.

it's a little shop in the east bay right on the Martinez/Pleasant Hill border. It's one of the closest to my house, as well as one of the best in regards to how comfortable i am with the instructor, the products they carry, and overall pricing. (the class was the least expensive i found anywhere, and equipment pricing looks very comparable to what's on line)

That each night you should put the suit on and lay in a tub of cold water for 7 days. This properly conditions the neopreme.:)

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
That each night you should put the suit on and lay in a tub of cold water for 7 days. This properly conditions the neopreme.:)

No, they didn't?? Are you serious? Honestly, i've thought of doing that but figured that may just be a bit TOO much. Yes, i am JUST that eager to get in...

UP... yeah, i did notice for the first time that i'm gettin a little pudge around the middle. I've always been a rather skinny guy (6 foot 2, 140 lbs usually) but i'm gaining some. never woulda noticed without the new snug fit

Get a good thermometer though, most tap water is between 56 and 58 degrees and this can lead to shrinking of the neoprene...

I had to add a couple bags of ice to mine to get the right temperature range 34 to 37 degrees...

Just kidding buddy, no need to soak in the suit!!!

I have found though that wearing a pair of socks while pushing through the legs of the suit makes donning it much easier. It allows your foot to slide right through, then just talke them off and put your booties on.

Keep that motivation up!!! I would like to have student as excited as you are!!!

Jeff Lane

mikelw once bubbled...
Well, sum it up to say that i'm REALLY anxious to actually get into the water, so today while i was sitting at home being bored, i decided to try the suit on again. It was a pain to get on the first time, and the guy said it would get easier with practice and as the neoprene stretched to my size. Today it was A LOT easier to get the suit on and off.

This sounds very serious, the first symptoms of SCUBA addition. At this point you could either invest in intensive therapy, or just join the rest of us. You’ll know you’re in deep when your wife starts yelling at you for wearing your gear around the house. Watch the fins on the stairs.:D

Mike

Jeff... thanks for confirming a thought i had. Since i have roughly NO clue what i'm really doing yet, wasn't too sure about leaving the socks on. but it seemed like it should help... mental note made and will be referenced in the future.

Mike... Luckily the wife was at work and didn't see me, because i was walking around in the suit for about 5 minutes seeing how much mobility i had in it and how much freedom of movement it allowed me. :D

Socks work great but use thin nylon socks, like liner socks for hiking, not thick cotton socks. :)
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom