Aluminum to Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just purchased a steel PST 100. The specs say it is -10 when full and -1 when empty. I used a Zeagle Ranger 14 lbs of weight with a 3mm. Our water is hot now so I am probably going to take off the wetsuit. The way my convuluted thinking is, is that my weight won't need to change more than a couple of pounds due to the steel. Am I looking at this wrong? Doing away with the wetsuit will require less weight but before I head to the lake, should I plan on taking more off due to the higher negative weight at the beginning.

Thaks

AggieDad:
Just purchased a steel PST 100. The specs say it is -10 when full and -1 when empty. I used a Zeagle Ranger 14 lbs of weight with a 3mm. Our water is hot now so I am probably going to take off the wetsuit. The way my convuluted thinking is, is that my weight won't need to change more than a couple of pounds due to the steel. Am I looking at this wrong? Doing away with the wetsuit will require less weight but before I head to the lake, should I plan on taking more off due to the higher negative weight at the beginning.

Thaks
I think you might still be able to take off a pound or two. If you've been using AL80s, they are -2 to +4.5, which is 8# full and 6.5# empty difference, which I'm guessing is a pound or two more than the bouyancy of your 3mm.

You'll have to try it out to be sure.

Have fun!

AggieDad:

Thaks

as long as you're not too Fat - you wont need any weight at all if you take the wet suit off!! the bottle never gets positive and your body is ~ nuetral. get in the water geared up but NO TANK and add just enough weight to be nuetral, you'll be fine with the 100 - you can actualy take ~ 1 lbs off.

AggieDad:

Thaks

In my last trip to warm waters had 3mm suit/steeltank/8lbs. If you are not an avarege Texan you are well overweighted. Without a suit I don't need any weights...

Tried out my new E7-100s last weekend in a fresh water quarry. Dropped 6 lbs of lead off with a 3mm. Maybe could have dropped 1-2 more. Later dive with a 7MM, I dropped 12 lbs off my BC. I was really surprised. Tank position on the backpack was touchy for trim. Still need to fine tune the trim. My guess is the other posts were right that you may not need any weight to get down with no wetsuit.

Have fun at the lake.

CIBDiving:
as long as you're not too Fat - you wont need any weight at all if you take the wet suit off!! the bottle never gets positive and your body is ~ nuetral. get in the water geared up but NO TANK and add just enough weight to be nuetral, you'll be fine with the 100 - you can actualy take ~ 1 lbs off.
Nice way to be politicly correct. Just remember people can lose weight but, others will always be jerks.

TeddyDiver:
In my last trip to warm waters had 3mm suit/steeltank/8lbs. If you are not an avarege Texan you are well overweighted. Without a suit I don't need any weights...

Well in one post I am FAT in this one I am average. I guess to be correct I am a very average Texan. :11:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hope to check it tomorrow.

drglnc:
Nice way to be politicly correct. Just remember people can lose weight but, others will always be jerks.

Political correctness be damned.
I have the same problem with weight - when I was young I was quite negativly bouyant, now in my old age and beer belly, I couldn't sink if I had too. Most people in fair shape are < 20% body fat, tey don't need lead to sink. if you're > 40 % you're FAT and saying it a different way isn't going to make anybody any skinnier! nor is it going to make you sink any better.

CIBDiving:
Political correctness be damned.
I have the same problem with weight - when I was young I was quite negativly bouyant, now in my old age and beer belly, I couldn't sink if I had too. Most people in fair shape are < 20% body fat, tey don't need lead to sink. if you're > 40 % you're FAT and saying it a different way isn't going to make anybody any skinnier! nor is it going to make you sink any better.

You're correct. I am FAT and when I had a 3mm with a 5mm shorty this winter and an AL 80 on it took almost 30 lbs to get down. Of course I was brand spanking new then too. I am down to 14 lbs with the 3mm and AL80 now and mainly due to relaxing. No offense on my part. If you can't laugh at yourself...then go into management. BTW, I am above 20% but below 40%. In my mind I am sleek, svelte, and sexy. But then I toot my own horn, no one else will. :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom