Aluminum or SS BP with PST doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
I am buing a PST E8-130 (old 104) double configuration with a Halcyon 55# bladder. I currently dive single config. with a heavy Fred T. SS backplate (11#).

Do I need an aluminum backplate instead in order not to be overweighted?, and I assume the 55# bladder is big enough?

I dive with a DUI cf 200 drusuit and G200 thinsulate undergarment.

Sincerely

Anders

globaldiver once bubbled...
I am buing a PST E8-130 (old 104) double configuration with a Halcyon 55# bladder. I currently dive single config. with a heavy Fred T. SS backplate (11#).

Do I need an aluminum backplate instead in order not to be overweighted?, and I assume the 55# bladder is big enough?

I dive with a DUI cf 200 drusuit and G200 thinsulate undergarment.

Sincerely

Anders

Anders: the only way to work this out -- without some serious arithmetic and you didn't tell us what tank you currently use or how big you are -- is to go out and do the practical application. Generally speaking, most "technical divers" -- like their sport diving cousins -- are over-weighted. However, before you buy an aluminum BP, try one out and see how it behaves. 55 pounds of lift is enough unless you have many stages and a brace of scooters!

I am 6' 2" and weigh 207 punds. Currently I dive a faber HP 120, but I have not been able to find exactly what boyancy specs it has. I know it is good to be slightly negative, especially during deco, but my concern is that I will be too heavy.
Do most divers with steel doubles on this bord dive SS BP? If so, maybe my concern is overrated.

I still have to test dive the new configuration in a pool first, and will surely then discover what happens... I have three weeks until my DIRF class.

Sincerely

Anders

I'm 6'3", 260, wear an Andy's DS3 and TR1000 undergarment. I dive LP104 with a SS BP and am slightly negative.

I'd guess that you'll be negative. I'd also guess that you'll be negative with an AL BP.

Anders

From the info you have provided my quess is that you are going to be negative. You will likely end up with either a standard 6lb SS plate or with an aluminum plate. It will really depend on the buoyancy of your complete configuration. If you go with an aluminum plate and find yourself a couple of pounds light you can always add a couple of lbs of lead.

With my 104s I typically use an 6lb SS plate in the ocean and an aluminum plate in fresh water in drysuit and with my Pro 4 or Pro 6 canister.

The 55lb wing is the way to go.

Enjoy your DIRF class, it should be a fun weekend.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

Yes, the question is just how negative. Maybe an aluminum BP is the way to go, since I could always add some weight to my weight belt if needed.
It would just be nice to avoid the expense of another BP with harness right now. But hey, who said that scuba diving is an inexpensive pleasure...

Sincerely

Anders

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom