Aluminum Nitrox tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelekealoha

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy doo, buckeroos!
I've got a question regarding Nitrox tanks. I'm gonna be getting my Nitrox cert this semester at SDSU, and I was wondering what special requirements an EANX tank has. The reason I ask now is because I've been offered two Alum. 80 tanks at an incredible price, and I want to know if I can use one of them specifically for Nitrox dives. I don't have much time to decide whether or not to buy them, but if I do, I have all the time in the world to have them checked out & tested, so any comments will be helpful. Thanks, and Keep Bubblin!

You can use the tanks .. . Unless yoru air provider does partial fills, where they run the risk of putting pure o2 in your tank, they'll require an oxygen cleaned tank, but otherwise you'll be fine - just have them checked out.

Buy them. How much?

Diver Dennis:
Buy them. How much?

$40 for both. But they haven't been used in a year or so, so I need hydro and visual (plus O2 clean for one, right?) Again, I've never had my own tanks, so I don't know how much that'll cost, but I have some friends in the business that should give me some good deals on tests. Thanks for the quick comments! Keep 'em coming, and KEEP BUBBLIN!!

When is the original hydro?
Be careful with anything older than 1990

Kelekealoha:
$40 for both. But they haven't been used in a year or so, so I need hydro and visual (plus O2 clean for one, right?) Again, I've never had my own tanks, so I don't know how much that'll cost, but I have some friends in the business that should give me some good deals on tests. Thanks for the quick comments! Keep 'em coming, and KEEP BUBBLIN!!

Until May 1988 Luxfer used 6351T-6 alloy in it's AL 80 tanks. (Walter kidde used it through 1990). That alloy has been known to suffer sustained load cracks and they require a visual plus inspection at what amounts to annual intervals.

It's a hot button topic with many divers, but there have been no failures of properly inspected 6351 alloy tanks as the inspections catch any cracks before they progress far enough to present a risk of failure. Still, some shops won't fill older aluminum tanks.

What is a real shame is that Catalina never used 6351 alloy in it's tanks and many divers and shops do the chicken little routine with pre-1988 Catalina tanks as well.

DA Aquamaster:
Until May 1988 Luxfer used 6351T-6 alloy in it's AL 80 tanks. (Walter kidde used it through 1990). That alloy has been known to suffer sustained load cracks and they require a visual plus inspection at what amounts to annual intervals.

It's a hot button topic with many divers, but there have been no failures of properly inspected 6351 alloy tanks as the inspections catch any cracks before they progress far enough to present a risk of failure. Still, some shops won't fill older aluminum tanks.

What is a real shame is that Catalina never used 6351 alloy in it's tanks and many divers and shops do the chicken little routine with pre-1988 Catalina tanks as well.

So how might I tell what alloy of Al is used in the tank? I obviously have neither the tools nor the training to perform a visual inspect myself, and the tanks still have the valves in place, anyway. Is the type of metal (other than Al or Steel indication) stamped on the cylinder?

Kelekealoha:
So how might I tell what alloy of Al is used in the tank? I obviously have neither the tools nor the training to perform a visual inspect myself, and the tanks still have the valves in place, anyway. Is the type of metal (other than Al or Steel indication) stamped on the cylinder?

Run the serial numbers - your LDS should be able to find the month and year they were made; US made tanks are manufactured under strict DOT guidelines - STAY AWAY from 6351T-6 aluminum alloy tanks PERIOD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom