For Sale Aluminum Freedom Plates- ALL SOLD OR ON HOLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What size tank do you plan to use?
Do you use a weightbelt or weight pockets?
Are you a long torso or short?
prefer pockets
in suit jackets i wear a 40S but consider my torso avg so not sure.

I could use a small for my wife and daughter to share. Both around 5'2". (Daughter is still growing) and starting to five this year so looking to get them geared up. If my HOG wing doesn't work I can pick up a VDH.

Sent an email.

Hi Eric,
Do you have any opinion on the suitability of the HOG wings? I have both a 23 and 32# HOG wing (I also have a VDH); they have a stabilization system for single tanks on them; photo uploaded/attached
Hog wing rear singl tank rails resized (1 of 1).jpg

In comparison to my VDH wing, the 'rails' on both sides enclosed in fabric are a slightly smaller diameter, but I have used these on my travel rig with no STA on a couple of LOB trips with no problems.

I could use a small for my wife and daughter to share. ...//... If my HOG wing doesn't work I can pick up a VDH.
Hey, KDAD! Been a while since the Maclearie meetup.

You could also look for a used Oxycheq Mach V. I called Oxycheq to get my facts straight and the way to tell them apart is:

Bladderless: Very old wing
Signature series: pre-2006
Mach V: Newer wing

You can tell the diff between a Mach V and a Signature by fully inflating the wing and looking at the 2" webbing that runs down the inside. If the space between the two sides of the inflated bladder is around 2" then it is a Mach V. 4-6" means that it is a Signature series. I have an old camo OxyCheq that I love.

@Eric Sedletzky: You have anything to say about the older OxyCheq Signature series wing?

Hey, KDAD! Been a while since the Maclearie meetup.

You could also look for a used Oxycheq Mach V. I called Oxycheq to get my facts straight and the way to tell them apart is:

Bladderless: Very old wing
Signature series: pre-2006
Mach V: Newer wing
Thanks for the information on the oxycheq wings. I do have one but it is a doubles wing. Had a bit of hiatus from diving while renovating the house but that is complete and getting wet again. Not much posting going on either but lots of lurking. Might have to hit maclearie soon to test out some gear before an upcoming trip.

I have an OxyCheq Mach V. They can be found used for a very fair buyer's price.

Mine has a digital camo design on the shell. Signature series weren't manufactured in that camo design. Another way to be sure that you have a Mach V is that the tank slots will both be just covered by the single 2" central webbing.

(get the kid her own stuff. :wink:)

Hi Eric,
Do you have any opinion on the suitability of the HOG wings? I have both a 23 and 32# HOG wing (I also have a VDH); they have a stabilization system for single tanks on them; photo uploaded/attachedView attachment 504114

In comparison to my VDH wing, the 'rails' on both sides enclosed in fabric are a slightly smaller diameter, but I have used these on my travel rig with no STA on a couple of LOB trips with no problems.
I’m not a fan of Hog wings to be honest. The center panel is way to wide and the outer diameter of the wing is rediculously wider still. It tends to flop. I’m into the newer super narrow streamlined designs.
Those thin long roll bars on each side of the Hog wing are better for the doubles style plates with a channel. Back when I made the first contours they had welded on rail bars and the Hog wings worked because the wing sat off of the plate and the rail bars fit inside if the roll control bars on the wing. The slots on the wing are wide so they didn’t get stretched out when the cam band angled off to go around the tank. Now with the narrower wing designs the wing must sit down on the plate or else the wing slots get stretched out sideways because the wing slots are much closer together. The further away the wing gets from the plate the more stress gets put on the wing slots and it doesn’t like it.
So Instead of constantly trying to configure the plate and bracket system to fit every conceivable wing design out there, I just decided to pick my favorite wing designs based on what I believe in and the features they have, and they just happen to be the VDH wing and the Oxycheq wings. I decided to simplify my life and designed the plate around that style wing. I utilized the features of those wings in my favor like the roll control bars, instead of laying awake at night trying figure out a way around them.

@Eric Sedletzky: You have anything to say about the older OxyCheq Signature series wing?
They were good wings for the times.
They are considered a little wide now in comparison to some of the hyper narrow wings available. But those are the wings I started selling with the first version of the FP 12 -13 years ago.
There are a number of them still in service with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom