Aluminum Double 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgbill once bubbled...
I don't know why someone would dive with double al 80's when a lp 120 pumped to 3800 psi gives you 190 cu ft of gas.
Or if you pump a LP 120 to 3000 psi you still get 150 cu ft of gas./B]

Goodluck trying to find someone to overfill a LP tank in my area unless you are extremely tight with the diveshop owner.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Goodluck trying to find someone to overfill a LP tank in my area unless you are extremely tight with the diveshop owner.

You need new dive shop monkeys, ones that understand the way things are done. My 104s and 95s are routinely filled to 3500.

Not that I support the post you replied to as 3800 is pushing the burst disks and diving singles in tech situations is dumb.

WW

Spectre once bubbled...

So you can isolate half your air supply if you have a failure... which is probably a better idea than carrying a single overpressured bomb on your back.

I can understand wanting to be able to isolate your air supply, how does pumping a tank to 3800 psi turn it into a bomb?

In the US the tanks have a lower rating than in Europe, but are still the same tank. I guess when it crosses the border it makes it dangerous to pump them to 3800 psi.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

You need new dive shop monkeys, ones that understand the way things are done. My 104s and 95s are routinely filled to 3500.

Not that I support the post you replied to as 3800 is pushing the burst disks and diving singles in tech situations is dumb.

WW
who said anything about tech situations?

That is why I have 3 sets of doubles and lots of other cylinders.

I have never had a steel tank fail hydro.

And have only had 1 burst disk failure on a HP 120 and it happened in the shop during the fill at less than 3000 psi.

You need new dive shop monkeys, ones that understand the way things are done. My 104s and 95s are routinely filled to 3500. WW

Im gonna pack my bags and move to florida.It seems to me that it is a lot easier to get an overfill on a LP tank in Florida than it is in CA.Has anyone noticed this?I have to argue with some shops just to get a 2640psi fill.They either fill them to 2400psi or do the famous hot fill to 2640 which cools to about 2300psi.

bgbill once bubbled...

who said anything about tech situations?

That is why I have 3 sets of doubles and lots of other cylinders.

I have never had a steel tank fail hydro.

And have only had 1 burst disk failure on a HP 120 and it happened in the shop during the fill at less than 3000 psi.

My mistake, I assumed that if one needed that much gas they were likely diving tech. My bad.

I never had a steel fail hydro either, blown a bunch of disks though, on all sorts of tanks. I'm far from against overfills, 38 is just a bit farther than I go. Tank is likely good for 5k or so.

WW

My mistake, I assumed that if one needed that much gas they were likely diving tech. My bad.

I never had a steel fail hydro either, blown a bunch of disks though, on all sorts of tanks. I'm far from against overfills, 38 is just a bit farther than I go. Tank is likely good for 5k or so.

WW

the main reason I dive is for spearfishing, you tend to burn up a lot of gas chasing fish.

I usually don't have problems getting fills around here.

I also have a compressor that I need to get running then i can do any kind of fill that I want to.

Even in Europe, they have 200 bar and 300 bar "low pressure/high pressure" ratings. 3800psi is definately high pressure, and is far in excess of a 2400/2640psi "rated" fill. Certainly the tank may be able to hold it, but all the hydro/vis procedures have been developed with a rated fill in mind. If they did the hydro's vis checks with 3800psi in mind, they might have to be a little more strict about the tests/failing tanks. The tank service pressures are also developed with metal fatigue from expansion/contraction of fills. Overfilling may shorten the service life of the tank as the tank may expand more or be subject to more stress than it is designed for. If I did commercial fills, for liability reasons as well as hazmat/osha regulations, I wouldn't permit overfills either....

All that said, many people get overfills and have no problems at all. There is a lot of usable "headroom" in the service ratings, it's up to you and your fill station to decide if you want to use the "headroom".

lal7176 once bubbled...
.It seems to me that it is a lot easier to get an overfill on a LP tank in Florida than it is in CA.Has anyone noticed this?I have to argue with some shops just to get a 2640psi fill.They either fill them to 2400psi or do the famous hot fill to 2640 which cools to about 2300psi.
Same experience - the best "overfill" I got was a hot 3000 psi in an LP tank because the guy filling it assumed the DIN valve meant it was a HP tank.

Occasionally I'll get a hot 2800psi at one shop, but it's gotta be the right guy when the boss isn't around :)

Back
Top Bottom