For Sale Aluminum 80cf Scuba Tank – New Hydro - $120 Obo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

relax31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dacor (Luxfer) aluminum 80cf tank with Thermo Pro DIN/Yoke valve, including DIN insert. Recently hydro’d (December 2015), visually inspected, and oxygen cleaned (tank and valve). Local pickup only from Long Island City, NY, 11109; PM me if interested. This tank has served me well over the past several years and I am selling to free up some space in my apartment.

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 139
Aside from the rather high $120 price for a 36-year old tank, this is a Luxfer tank made of the 6351 alloy that has the possibility of Sustained Load Cracking, so many shops will refuse to fill it, and most folks will scrap the tank if it is theirs.

If you didn't know that, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
If you knew that, you are being dangerously disingenuous by not mentioning it.

Thank you. I did not know that. I acquired this tank from one of my dive buddies several years ago; it was out of hydro then, and I swapped him an in-hydro 40 for it. He and/or I have been diving with it since 2008 and our local shop has always filled it without issue.

I found on Luxfer's site (link below) that the tanks are safe provided they are hydro'd every five year and vis'd annually (same as all other tanks) with the added requirement that they be eddy current tested every 2.5 years. I'm not sure if they were eddy current tested when they were just hydro'd this past December, but I'll refund any buyer 100% of the purchase price if the tank fails an eddy current test within the first 6 months after purchase.

How often should my Luxfer 6351-alloy scuba tank be inspected?

Hope that works out. Many shops will simply turn away any aluminum tank dated before 1990, using "an abundance of caution."

Most visual inspection stickers I've seen allow one to indicate if an eddy current test was done. And some shops will turn away a tank with a sticker like the one you show....it has no shop name, no agency name, no inspector name, nothing. You can buy them off the internet. Without knowing if your tank has actually has EVER had an eddy current test. the very next fill could be the one during which it blows.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. In my opinion, the probability of it "blowing" on the very next fill, which will be the first one since it passed hydro and a professionally performed VIP, is exceedingly unlikely. I have accurately and fully described the tank to the best of my knowledge, and offering a refund if it fails an eddy current test de-risks the prospective purchaser (who will also know where I live, because if you noticed I am offering the tank for local pickup only).

Your negative insinuations regarding my personal integrity and transparency are not appreciated. So you know, I also have this tank listed on eBay, where my 100% perfect feedback rating across 188 transactions - including sales of several items over $1,000, such as dive computers and even a Jeep - speaks for itself.

Methinks you doth protest too much.
My concern is naive buyers, not arrogant sellers.
Since you can buy a brand-new AL80 with PRO valve from LeisurePro for $170, paying $120 for one that is 36 years old with a flawed pedigree hardly seems like a good deal for someone.
Do you feel better now?

Used AL80 tanks trade for as high as $140 (plus shipping - see for yourself on eBay). I assume a driver of the typically narrow spread between new and used pricing for in-hydro tanks is because if properly cared for, tanks should last "forever" - at least several decades. They can be hydro tested unlimited times, do not have an "expiration date", do not wear, and therefore do not depreciate the same as most gear with limited life (moving parts or otherwise subject to wear and tear). They are just hunks of metal subject to stresses, not dissimilar from structural elements in a building. Similarly, I am sure that my tank has decades of service remaining.

The listing price has been $120 OBO, and you or anyone else are welcome to make an offer at any number you please.

Used AL80 tanks trade for as high as $140 (plus shipping - see for yourself on eBay). I assume a driver of the typically narrow spread between new and used pricing for in-hydro tanks is because if properly cared for, tanks should last "forever" - at least several decades. They can be hydro tested unlimited times, do not have an "expiration date", do not wear, and therefore do not depreciate the same as most gear with limited life (moving parts or otherwise subject to wear and tear). They are just hunks of metal subject to stresses, not dissimilar from structural elements in a building. Similarly, I am sure that my tank has decades of service remaining.

The listing price has been $120 OBO, and you or anyone else are welcome to make an offer at any number you please.
You are ignoring the dangerous alloy the tank is made from.
Here is what it says on eBay about your tank; in short, don't buy it.
If you are really on the up-and-up about this, which you claim to be, you will say openly that the tank is made of the 6351 alloy and has never had an eddy test.

most AL80's are really only useful for 20yrs regardless of what the manufacturer states, lots of shops wont dare touch one that old, even if it has passed hydro

your probably better off keeping it but honestly i see Al80's all day long from $25-80 on CL, less educated buyers might jump on it

Back
Top Bottom