Aluminium in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any Euro divers out there using aluminium tanks? I'm looking to get myself a set of doubles but I find steel are far too heavy - even with them virtually empty and no extra weighting I still sink like a stone in steel doubles and need to trim constantly at shallower depths.

So, anyone got experience of buying/maintaining aluminium in Europe (Netherlands esp.) - is it hassle or is it worth it?

Luxfer does make ped-certified aluminium tanks (largest being 12s). There is something of a "tradition" of getting regular aluminiums (dot-approved) and just going about your everyday diving life (at least here). It is usually possible (depending on who you know) to get even ped-uncompliant tanks pressure tested but there are no guarantees (and no papers when you do, except a reciept). I shudder at the amount of lead you´ll need in a set of near-empty double-alu 12´s....

Maybe you are different (bouyancy wise) but most people here use double 12s which are a pretty slick set...I´d go for double 12´s (steel) or at least give them a few dives to see if you see improvement...I personally dive faber 15s without weights and though I´m negative at the start of a dive, I´ll be near neutral in the shallows with little inflation at the end of it...

ymmv

grazie42:
Maybe you are different (bouyancy wise) but most people here use double 12s which are a pretty slick set...I´d go for double 12´s (steel) or at least give them a few dives to see if you see improvement...I personally dive faber 15s without weights and though I´m negative at the start of a dive, I´ll be near neutral in the shallows with little inflation at the end of it...
ymmv

Actually, going to 15s might be another solution - I believe they only weigh a couple of kilos extra each but displace more than 3kg extra of water so are in fact less negative. Maybe that plus an aluminium backplate instead of steel.

I like mine...they are 36kgs empty though so not as easy to haul around as 12s (on land)...I bought a handcart for about 15€ for that though so its not a problem...I also like that I can do 4 recdives on one fill and last weekend I did a 80minute dive (35 @ 35m), all on BG and still had ½ a tank left...

The real reason I bought mine are that my regular buddy uses a 15l in the time i use a 12l so for techdiving it made sense to me...

error

Started to respond and saw the location was Europe-it voided my response.

COming back to tanks. I use Faber steel 12 liters - each one empy weights 11,5 kilos - which is less than aluminium tank!!!!
Aluminium tanks are heavier than good steel ones. And remember - they have positive buoyancy at the end of the dive.
So I would reccomend Faber light ones - they vary from 11,5 kilos each to 12,5kilos...
And of course switching to the aluminium plate - if you are using still one it will be 3 kilos less.
And 12 liters doubles is enough for most of the dives...

Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom