Alternative weight pockets for Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had been diving a Scubapro Lady Hawk for 16 years but needed a new BC after radiation for breast cancer wrecked my range of motion and strength in my shoulder. I bought a Hydros Pro last year and did one dive trip before covid changed diving for most of us.

I liked that the Hydros was lighter and much easier for me to put on with my gimpy shoulder. I found that I didn’t like the rubber weight pockets. Too big and bulky. I changed to the travel harness and finally found the solution to the weight pocket problem. I bought a set of ditchable Dive Rite weight pockets from the local dive shop and they installed them on the webbing for me. They are out of the way and quite sturdy. There’s no way the weights will fall out and they can hold up to ten pounds in each pocket. I’m using neoprene cargo shorts to hold my slate, shears and whatever else I need. Light is mounted on right upper D ring. Lift bag is in butt pouch. Reel clipped to left D ring.

As much as I like Scubapro gear, I’m a bit disappointed in the Hydros. If you want to customize the Hydros using the webbing, consider a back plate with wing. You will have many more options and it will cost less.
1BAD9A08-4FED-4211-B1E9-7559E66C45F3.jpeg

Those pockets are sizable

How much weight do you carry?

The weight pockets come in 12 and 20 pounds per set. I will never need 20 pounds. I use between 8 and 14 lbs depending on conditions. I don’t use my trim pockets very often so I got the 20 pound set. They can also be mounted vertically.

The weight pockets come in 12 and 20 pounds per set. I will never need 20 pounds. I use between 8 and 14 lbs depending on conditions. I don’t use my trim pockets very often so I got the 20 pound set. They can also be mounted vertically.
The trim pockets on the back are great ,and one of the best features, and when not using the monoprene pockets and have the 'simple harness' fitted , I have small weight pockets fitted to the waist strap, 2/3 of the weight is in the back trim pockets, with too much weight in the large 'momo' pockets my trim is way off, might as well wear a weight belt again.
Even with the monoprene pockets fitted when diving my new 5mm wet suit ,neoprene cargo shorts and 5mm boots I still have 4kg in the trim pockets and need very little in the 'mono' pockets, and may take them off when diving this setup in the future, just remember to take the weights out of the trim pockets when changing cylinders [easy to do] but heavy if you forget.

I’ve just never needed to use my trim pockets but with this new configuration I may start using them.

I’ve just never needed to use my trim pockets but with this new configuration I may start using them.
20210418_091105.jpg 20210418_091133.jpg 20210418_091245.jpg

This is the small weight pockets on the waist band on the 'simple harness', also move one of my knifes [ carry 2] to the BC hose , as per photo 1.
And before anyone asks, I can reach the small pockets.
Edit: these are the weights that go in the back trim pockets, 2 for my 3mm, and 4 with my 5mm.
20210418_113839.jpg

View attachment 654033 View attachment 654034 View attachment 654035

This is the small weight pockets on the waist band on the 'simple harness', also move one of my knifes [ carry 2] to the BC hose , as per photo 1.
And before anyone asks, I can reach the small pockets.
Edit: these are the weights that go in the back trim pockets, 2 for my 3mm, and 4 with my 5mm.
View attachment 654041

Same set up I use but I can ditch my weights. As long as you can reach them, it’s not a problem. Thanks for the photos.

I also attached two 5lb pockets on the waist strap. Utilizing the trim pockets when desired, I can easily carry my usual 8-12 lbs, and could go up to 14. If I needed more, there are several companies that make larger pockets. A company called IST makes an 8lb that works. I could ditch the weights if necessary and am unconcerned about dumping trim weights.

My thought process is not on ditchable weight [although I can slip the weights from the front pockets], you should be able to swim to the surface no problem ,a balanced rig is preferable to ditchable weight.

I typed a whole piece about ditching your whole set if "pinch came to shove" and how easy it is, but deleted it as this was in the wrong topic.

I’ve never had to ditch my weights but I’m an older diver now with a gimpy shoulder. I would like to have the option if needed.

Back
Top Bottom