Alternative to X-shorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson:
The harness pocket used to be on Halcyon's product list. I think it was decided that it wasn't DIR since it occupied the spot for the light canister and may cause confusion when switching from your wet -> dry rig.
True, it isn't DIR but I don't like the shorts. Attaching pockets to my wetsuit is possible but it would block me wearing the 7mm shorty over my regular 7mm suit.
I do not use a canister lamp and the pocket will allow me to route the 7' hose as it should be. A drysuit is not an option for me this financial year :wink:

So, the SMB goes into the storage pak, the spool, spare mask and the RDP all go in the harness pocket.

Laurens

Well, unless you're diving in a cave or at night where you would be using a canister... I don't think the harness pocket is that big an issue.

I'm looking for a decent one here in the Philippines. Most of the ones here have zippered pockets which I'm not too fond of. I might end up having one custom made at a local military store.

Hey John,

I have a .5 mil suit (very thin) which I sewed pockets onto. Actually it's partially glued and I stitched the corners and the flap so that the stress points are sewn, but the rest is sewn to neoprene strips which I glued to the suit. It has worked fine for several months now and over 30 dives. I just got a 3mil suit and a friend sewed pockets onto it (no gluing) which seems to have worked great - plus it looks a LOT better than the ones I did (I sew for practical, not asthetics)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. When I get home I'll try to post pictures of it for you

I bought my pioneer 36 before I heard of GUE.
I bought the Halcyon pocket at the same time.
The zipper closes away from the buckle (center) and is just to much of a pain to use so it sits with the rest of my worthless junk.
If the zipper closed toward the buckle I might have not given up on it.
Probably did 20 dives with it untill I decided it wasn't for me.
Xshorts worked fine untill I went dry.

Boogie711:
The Dive Rite thigh pockets are pretty small. I wouldn't want to try to carry much more than a spool or two in there. By the time you add wetnotes, shears, a sausage or liftbag and whatever else you're going to be hardpressed to get your hands even in there.
Actually you can fit a 6' SMB with a spool pre-attached. If you're comparing them to the Fifth-D bellows pocket however they seem small in comparison. I've sold the equivalent product to a few people, mostly folk who take them along on dive trips so they've got a pocket while using thin wetsuits. Glued pockets look rather silly when you're using the same wetsuit for waterskiing or surfing :wink:

Diverite also does a 'waist pocket' that goes on 2" webbing and looks pretty much like the discontinued H harness pocket except it has a velcro closure.

jplacson:
The harness pocket used to be on Halcyon's product list. I think it was decided that it wasn't DIR since it occupied the spot for the light canister and may cause confusion when switching from your wet -> dry rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom