alternative to dss lcd30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
there's pinholes in the bladder and we all know the situation with DSS now.

do other wings work with the dss backplates? i'm trying to figure out what my options are in terms of replacement.

thanks.

I would get a VDH (Vintage Double Hose) wing as my first choice. We have successfully used VDH, OhyCheq MachV, HOG, and Deep6 on our DSS plates.

The VDH is my favorite, OxyCheq next.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

notice too that amazing price!

Any donut wing of similar lift is going to work. Whether or not it will work with cam straps through the plate or an STA will be required will be dependent on the wing. At the point, it's really all personal choice. Any of the brands listed will work just fine.

there's pinholes in the bladder and we all know the situation with DSS now.

do other wings work with the dss backplates? i'm trying to figure out what my options are in terms of replacement.

thanks.

I had a DSS LCD30 that got some holes in it. I patched it with some inner tube and AquaSeal and continued diving it for a year or so (? IIRC) with no issues. I eventually got a HOG 23 and never used the LCD again, then sold it (with full disclosure to the new owner!).

FWIW - if it is a known leak spot, and not just random pin-holes, Tear-aid is an awesome repair tape.

The exact same thing happened to me last night, on the SECOND pool session of my basic OW class. Talk about exploding on takeoff... It's doubly painful because it belonged to @Green_Manelishi for 10+ years and I managed to booger it up on day 2. I'm going to pick up some 5200 marine adhesive on my way home today and get it sealed up.

Tobin was less than thrilled when I called to ask about any vendors that might carry replacement bladders, so it'll be a while before I get one. The patch fix should hopefully get me through the class, but I'd rather not make it a long term solution.

Thanks @rhwestfall for the recommendations.

Last edited:
there's nothing wrong with patching for long term solutions if it's small pinholes. Even better if you take it all the way out and can patch from the inside *be super careful doing that btw*, but it is definitely a long term solution

there's nothing wrong with patching for long term solutions if it's small pinholes. Even better if you take it all the way out and can patch from the inside *be super careful doing that btw*, but it is definitely a long term solution

What he said.

What's the worst case? Your patch fails and you're back to having some pinholes? A very slow leak during a dive is pretty unlikely to ruin your dive. If it was a seam/weld failure, where it could reopen and also get much bigger very quickly, I would feel differently.

Back
Top Bottom